Someone tweets about Benghazi every 12 seconds. Not every 12 days or every 12 minutes, but every 12 seconds.
Over the past month, that’s added up to more than 200,000 tweets, according to the social-media tracking firm Topsy. And while mentions of the attack on the American compound in Libya soared in the past few days thanks to new revelations about the government’s handling of the incident, Benghazi still scores about 5,000 tweets per day during the long periods between fresh news developments.
Notably, that’s about the same number of tweets as Hillary Clinton gets on most days. In fact, over the past 30 days, Benghazi edged out Clinton on Twitter, earning 219,325 mentions to Clinton’s 219,163 (as of the end of the workday Thursday.)
If this means anything, it’s that the controversy is not fading with time. It remains something — perhaps the biggest thing — that Clinton and her team will have to deal with, should she decide to run for president, whether she wants to or not.
Clinton, who has seen both sides of a scandal — first working for congressional Watergate investigators and later as the subject of several probes herself — knows as well as anyone that there will always be new, incremental revelations that can reignite a simmering scandal, as long as partisans have an interest in keeping it burning.
And Republicans clearly see benefits in keeping Benghazi in the headlines. “For Secretary Clinton, Benghazi will be the defining event of her tenure as secretary of State, so if she chooses to run for president, avoiding addressing the questions head on will not be an option,” said Tim Miller, the executive director of the Republican opposition-research group America Rising.
The attack undercuts one of her key achievements as secretary of state — the toppling of former Libyan dictator Muammar el-Qaddafi — and, to a lesser extent, her entire tenure. As Clinton herself said last week, the attack is her “biggest regret” from her time at State.
And while it’s far from an Achilles’ heel for the presumed Democratic front-runner, the vast majority of Americans are familiar with the attack, according to polls, and respondents to a recent Pew survey listed it as Clinton’s top weakness.
Most important, it resonates with voters on the right, and Republican leaders will keep the scandal alive if for no other reason than to mobilize their own base.
This week, new revelations include an email from Obama national security aide Ben Rhodes that appears to show that the White House downplayed the possibility of terrorism in the aftermath of the attack, instead blaming an anti-Muslim video that had sparked violent protests in more than a dozen Muslim countries around the attack.
The other piece of news came Thursday in congressional testimony from retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Robert Lovell, who served as deputy director of intelligence for the military’s Africa Command, which has jurisdiction over Libya. “What we did know quite early on was that this was a hostile action. This was no demonstration gone terribly awry,” Lovell said, undermining the very case the White House was pushing in the initial days after the attack.
Congressional probes will continue, even as Democrats criticize Republican investigators’ “embarrassing … conspiracy theories” and bemoan the ” millions of dollars” spent. And if the Republicans take the Senate this year, expect the number of investigations to double.
Even — or especially — if neither of the tidbits of news this week contained any substantive new information, let alone a smoking gun, the steadfast interest on social media and in the press shows why Clinton will likely never be able to entirely break free of the attack.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.