It’s not just pro-Hillary Clinton super PACs that are gearing up for a potential presidential run. The Stop Hillary PAC brought in more than half a million dollars and signed up 250,000 supporters since it started last summer, according to its spokesperson.
“In leading the stop-Hilary effort, we are actively investing in identifying, recruiting, and signing up supporters to stop Hillary. To stop Hillary in 2016 we will be active this midterm election helping to defeat candidates she endorses and shadow her wherever she goes,” said Stop Hillary PAC’s Garrett Marquis.
The group has also released a slick Web video and filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission alleging that the pro-Clinton super PAC Ready for Hillary is improperly coordinating with Clinton’s dormant 2008 presidential campaign by renting its email list. (Ready for Hillary has dismissed the claim as baseless.)
Unlike some conservative groups already involved in 2016, the Stop Hillary PAC is dedicated solely to fighting Clinton. And while there are several super PACs with the same goal, the Stop Hillary PAC has raised the most money and is so far the most active.
Colorado state Sen. Ted Harvey, who also served in the Reagan administration, is the honorary chairman of the group, which also includes national spokesman Marquis, political director Alex Shively, operational director Jacob Leis, and treasurer and general counselor Dan Backer.
It has some catching up to do, however, to Ready for Hillary, the main pro-Clinton super PAC, which has raised more than $5.75 million and has signed up 2 million supporters. But as the presidential election comes more into focus, groups working against Clinton are sure to find more support.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."