The world’s largest technology companies are coming out in force against the Federal Communications Commission’s proposed regulations of Internet access.
In a letter to the FCC Wednesday, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Twitter, Yahoo, Netflix, and dozens of other companies warned that the FCC’s plan to allow Internet service providers to charge websites for faster service in some cases “represents a grave threat to the Internet.”
“Instead of permitting individualized bargaining and discrimination, the Commission’s rules should protect users and Internet companies on both fixed and mobile platforms against blocking, discrimination, and paid prioritization, and should make the market for Internet services more transparent,” the companies wrote.
“Such rules are essential for the future of the Internet.”
It’s not yet clear whether the tech giants are planning any larger protest of the proposed net-neutrality rules. Many of the same companies participated in a massive protest in 2012 that derailed the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. Google, for example, blacked out the logo on its home page (the most visited website in the world) and collected 7 million petition signatures in a single day.
Two Democratic FCC commissioners also expressed concern with the proposal on Wednesday, throwing the regulations into jeopardy. FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler will need both Democratic votes to move the planned regulations forward at a meeting next Thursday.
The FCC first enacted net-neutrality rules in 2010, but the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals struck them down in January. Wheeler is trying to rework the rules in a way that can survive future court challenges.
His proposal would ban Internet service providers from blocking websites but would allow them to charge for special “fast lanes” as long as the arrangements are “commercially reasonable.”
Wheeler argues that his proposal is on strong legal ground and would prevent abuses.
What We're Following See More »
Oregon Senator Ron Wyden, ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, grilled Steven Mnuchin, Donald Trump's nominee for treasury secretary, and was unhappy with Mnuchin's answers, complaining about a lack of specifics. "We didn't hear what you'd do to fight ISIS," Wyden said. "We didn't get any specifics on Medicare"
Donald Trump's nominee to become the next secretary of the Treasury Department, Steven Mnuchin, has spent much of his opening statement defending his record at OneWest Bank, which he co-founded and where he served as chairman and CEO. OneWest Bank has been criticized as a "foreclosure machine" following the Great Recession in 2008 and Mnuchin has been criticized for laying people off during the crisis.
The latest move in an ongoing battle between Republicans and the Office of Government Ethics came earlier this week when OGE Director Walter Schaub sent a letter to Rep. Jason Chaffetz, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Chaffetz had requested "a private meeting on Jan. 23 with Chaffetz, ranking member Elijah Cummings, D-Md., and staff members." Schaub responded with a letter asking that Chaffetz reconsider his stance that no public testimony would be acceptable and that Chaffetz call Schaub in front of the committee for public testimony.
Rep. Mick Mulvaney, President-elect Donald Trump's choice to run the Office of Management and Budget, admitted he "failed to pay more than $15,000 in payroll taxes for a household worker" from 2000-2004. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, noting that similar lapses have torpedoed Democratic nominees, said Mulvaney should withdraw. Meanwhile, Commerce secretary nominee Wilbur Ross "admitted at his Senate confirmation hearing Wednesday that he recently fired a household employee who could not provide proof that they could legally work in the country."