Insiders say Japan is devising procedures for its armed forces to protect domestic atomic facilities from computer-based strikes, the Mainichi Daily News reports.
The Japanese government is still deciding if it will permit its Self Defense Forces to use malware in a potential retaliation against computers attacking a nuclear energy site or other sensitive location, the newspaper reported late last week. The island nation’s atomic energy facilities have been largely in suspension since 2011, when an earthquake and tsunami led to meltdowns in several reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.
Protecting Japan’s command-and-control systems from possible electronic assaults is the objective of a special task force established by the country’s defense ministry in March, the Mainichi reported. The group of about 90 people only wields authorization to guard equipment linking the Japanese ministry to domestic military installations.
On Monday, Japan and Israel agreed to initiate a cyber-defense dialogue between their respective national security agencies, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in comments reported by Bloomberg.
Abe and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu issued a joint statement affirming “the necessity of cooperation in the field of cybersecurity and … affirmed the importance of bilateral defense cooperation,” the Times of Israel reported.
The position was in line with the stance of a Japanese military delegation that traveled to Israel, according to the released comments.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.