In a surprise move, the Russian government is attempting to limit the Pentagon’s ability to send satellites into space, cutting off the U.S. military’s access to the engine it uses for many of its launches.
The cutoff, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Tuesday, is a response to U.S. sanctions, which have limited sales of some key space-technology items to Russia. While Russia won’t restrict the U.S. from buying the RD-180 engine altogether, sales will be limited to nonmilitary launches.
The RD-180 engine is used in Atlas V rockets, which ferry many of the Pentagon’s satellites into orbit. The Atlas V is one of two rockets used by the United Launch Alliance, a Lockheed Martin-Boeing collaboration that currently sends all military satellites into space.
ULA also uses a Delta class of rockets — which don’t rely on the RD-180 — to launch a variety of payloads.
The military launch program has been in the spotlight of late, as rocket newcomer SpaceX has argued it deserves a better shot to compete for military launches. The Air Force’s next five-year block buy allots 36 launches to ULA, with just seven set aside for competitive bidding (that number was originally set at 14).
In response, SpaceX sued the Air Force, calling the process unfair. CEO Elon Musk also asserted that ULA’s purchase of Russian rockets could benefit Rogozin, who heads the company’s defense industry and is on President Obama’s list of sanctioned leaders.
A court injunction blocking RD-180 imports was lifted after ULA, the Justice Department, and other agencies certified the sales did not violate sanctions.
Russia’s response, said ULA, was the result of SpaceX bringing the sanction issue to the forefront — and angering Russia. “SpaceX’s irresponsible actions have created unnecessary distractions [and] threatened U.S. military satellite operations,” the company said in a statement. “We are hopeful that our two nations will engage in productive conversations over the coming months that will resolve the matter quickly.”
ULA says it has a two-year supply of RD-180 engines, so the sales stoppage doesn’t pose an immediate threat. “We’ve always prepared for a supply interruption,” ULA CEO Michael Gass said in April interview.
But SpaceX says it illustrates the need to find new providers that can end the military’s reliance on its hostile partner. “This is going to put even more pressure on the Air Force [to open up contracts],” said a SpaceX spokesperson. “There is a reliance on these engines based on these sole-source monopoly contracts.”¦ Everything with Russia creates an urgency to this situation.”
In addition to the RD-180 cutoff, Rogozin said Russia will reject America’s plan to operate the International Space Station until at least 2024, instead shutting down operations in 2020.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."