India’s much-hyped April missile interceptor test may not have been the great success the military initially claimed, the New Indian Express reports.
Immediately after the April 27 test, an unidentified Indian Defense Research and Development Organization senior scientist was quoted by the Indian Statesman as calling the maiden test of the Prithvi Defense Vehicle “a complete success as it met all of its objectives without any flaws.”
But the Express newspaper reported on Thursday that the interceptor never struck its target. The Prithvi vehicle passed the target, and its warhead failed to detonate, according to sources at the Wheeler Island Integrated Test Range
“The interceptor did not directly hit the target missile,” an anonymous official said. “So it cannot be claimed that a hit-to-kill took place during the mission.”
Additionally, the Prithvi interceptor did not reach its intended height of a minimum of 75 miles.
“The missed distance between the interceptor and the target was more than what was expected,” the official said. “But we still can say that the mission was partially successful as the interceptor could be fired in time. In an automated operation, a radar-based detection and tracking system successfully detected and tracked the enemy ballistic missile.”
DRDO head Avinash Chander is now asserting there never was a plan for the interceptor’s warhead to explode, and that the principal purpose of the test was to monitor the trajectory of the missile target.
Meanwhile, the Indian military is preparing to conduct a test as soon as next month of the nuclear-ready Nirbhay cruise missile, the Times of India reported. This would be the second trial of the weapon, which is said to be capable of being launched from air, sea and land.
The maiden test of the weapon last year ended in failure when the launched missile deviated from its programmed flight course and had to be remotely destroyed. The Nirbhay is reportedly designed to carry nuclear payloads as far as 621 miles and has been compared to the U.S. Tomahawk missile.
What We're Following See More »
U.S. District Judge William Orrick Tuesday blocked the Trump administration from enforcing part of an executive order calling for the end of federal funding to so-called sanctuary cities. The decision was followed by a scathing rebuke from the White House, a precedent-breaking activity which with this White House has had no qualms. A White House statement called the decision an "egregious overreach by a single, unelected district judge." The statement was followed by an inaccurate Wednesday morning tweetstorm from Trump, which railed against the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. While Judge Orrick district falls within the jurisdiction of the Ninth Circuit, Orrick himself does not serve on the Ninth Circuit.
"House Republicans are circulating the text of an amendment to their ObamaCare replacement bill that they believe could bring many conservatives on board. According to legislative text of the amendment," drafted by Rep. Tom MacArthur (R-NJ), "the measure would allow states to apply for waivers to repeal one of ObamaCare’s core protections for people with pre-existing conditions. Conservatives argue the provision drives up premiums for healthy people, but Democrats—and many more moderate Republicans—warn it would spark a return to the days when insurance companies could charge sick people exorbitantly high premiums."
President Trump on Wednesday "will order a review of national monuments created over the past 20 years with an aim toward rescinding or resizing some of them—part of a broader push to reopen areas to drilling, mining, and other development." Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke told reporters on Tuesday said he'd be reviewing about 30 monuments.
"An emerging government funding deal would see Democrats agree to $15 billion in additional military funding in exchange for the GOP agreeing to fund healthcare subsidies, according to two congressional officials briefed on the talks. Facing a Friday deadline to pass a spending bill and avert a shutdown, Democrats are willing to go halfway to President Trump’s initial request of $30 billion in supplemental military funding."
The Michael Flynn story is not going away for the White House as it tries to refocus its attention. The White House has denied requests from the House Oversight Committee for information and documents regarding payments that the former national security adviser received from Russian state television station RT and Russian firms. House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz and ranking member Elijah Cummings also said that Flynn failed to report these payments on his security clearance application. White House legislative director Marc Short argued that the documents requested are either not in the possession of the White House or contain sensitive information he believes is not applicable to the committee's stated investigation.