New Mexico Demands More Details on Threats From Nuclear Leak Site

Global Security Newswire Staff
May 16, 2014, 9:33 a.m.

New Mex­ico wants to end fed­er­al breaches of re­port­ing rules for dan­ger­ous sub­stances at a nuc­le­ar dump near Carls­bad, the Al­buquerque Journ­al re­ports.

The state’s en­vir­on­ment­al agency this week form­ally ordered the En­ergy De­part­ment to ex­plain how it will fall back in line with rules re­quir­ing weekly de­clar­a­tions on levels of meth­ane, hy­dro­gen and oth­er haz­ard­ous sub­stances at the Waste Isol­a­tion Pi­lot Plant, the news­pa­per re­por­ted on Thursday. Fed­er­al of­fi­cials began run­ning afoul of the re­quire­ments after an es­cape of ra­dio­act­ive con­tam­in­ants forced work­ers to va­cate un­der­ground por­tions of the site in Feb­ru­ary.

A New Mex­ico En­vir­on­ment De­part­ment man­date also de­mands that more ex­tens­ive sup­ple­ment­ary as­sess­ments be is­sued on a bi­weekly basis. The state’s ac­tion ap­plies to the En­ergy De­part­ment as well as the buri­al site’s man­aging con­tract­or, Nuc­le­ar Waste Part­ner­ship.

At a pub­lic meet­ing last week, a top state over­sight of­fi­cial re­spon­ded an­grily to a site ad­min­is­trat­or for de­flect­ing a journ­al­ist’s in­quiry about waste casks sus­pec­ted of hav­ing caused the Feb­ru­ary con­tam­in­a­tion in­cid­ent. New Mex­ico En­vir­on­ment Sec­ret­ary Ry­an Flynn called the move “a really good ex­ample … of some of the frus­tra­tion that I’ve had since I was no­ti­fied about this event.”

“If you have in­form­a­tion, you need to dis­close that in­form­a­tion to the pub­lic im­me­di­ately,” Flynn said.

An­oth­er New Mex­ico of­fi­cial said the nuc­le­ar dump’s man­age­ment stepped up con­tacts with the state as a probe on the ra­di­ation in­cid­ent un­fol­ded.

Now, though, “we know on the re­cord, in an en­force­able or­der, we’re go­ing to get this in­form­a­tion reg­u­larly,” said Jeff Kend­all, gen­er­al coun­sel for the state’s en­vir­on­ment­al agency. “Non­com­pli­ance with the or­der has cer­tain con­sequences.”

Ac­cord­ing to the En­ergy De­part­ment’s Carls­bad out­post, the new state man­date sub­jects sub­ter­ranean areas of the fa­cil­ity to rules already in force at its sur­face.

What We're Following See More »
BIG CHANGE FROM WHEN HE SELF-FINANCED
Trump Enriching His Businesses with Donor Money
14 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.

Source:
QUESTIONS OVER IMMIGRATION POLICY
Trump Cancels Rallies
22 hours ago
THE LATEST

Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.

Source:
‘STRATEGY AND MESSAGING’
Sean Hannity Is Also Advising Trump
1 days ago
THE LATEST

Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”

Source:
THE SHAKE-UP CONTINUES
RNC’s Spicer to Work from Trump HQ
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"Donald Trump's campaign and the Republican party will coordinate more closely going forward, with the GOP's top communicator and chief strategist Sean Spicer increasingly working out of Trump campaign headquarters, the campaign confirmed Sunday."

Source:
MORE PALACE INTRIGUE
Manafort Resigns from Trump Campaign
4 days ago
THE LATEST

In a statement released Friday morning, the Trump campaign announced that Paul Manafort has resigned as campaign chairman. The move comes after fresh questions had been raised about Manafort's work in Russia and Ukraine, and Trump brought in Stephen Bannon "as a de facto demotion for Manafort."

Source:
×