Auditors say the Defense Department is not following its own procedures for guarding against “potentially catastrophic” biological strikes.
Pentagon rules require the agency each year to revisit its list of top biological-weapon threats, with an eye to possibly reshuffling the order of agents deemed most dangerous to its military personnel and civilians, the congressional Government Accountability Office said in a report issued on Thursday.
“Yet, [the Defense Department] does not follow its established process for updating its biological threat priorities,” auditors wrote in their assessment.
Failing to regularly weigh the relative risks posed by various weapon candidates, they said, makes it unclear whether the United States is pursuing medical treatments for “the most serious and likely biological threats.”
The Defense Department backed the report’s findings, according to a letter from Andrew Weber, the Pentagon’s assistant secretary for nuclear, chemical, and biological defense programs.
The Pentagon would review its biodefense directives “to ensure they align with current … planning processes,” Weber wrote last week.
GAO auditors described “progress” in related areas, including Defense Department coordination with other federal offices to prepare against biological threats.
The Health and Human Services and Defense departments “have developed interagency agreements and other tools that facilitate communication on the various stages of medical countermeasure development,” auditors wrote.
In addition, the Pentagon has worked with the Homeland Security Department on measures “for identifying biological agents that pose domestic threats and risks,” the report states.
The Defense Department maintains sole responsibility for preparing medical countermeasures for U.S. military personnel.
What We're Following See More »
In an interview with Rolling Stone, former HUD Secretary Julian Castro indicated he's close to announcing a presidential bid. “I’m likely to do it,” he said. “I’ll make a final decision after November, but I’m inclined to do it.”
"A judge dismissed Stormy Daniels’ defamation lawsuit against President Trump on Monday. Judge James Otero also ruled Daniels must pay Trump’s attorney fees." A Trump attorney called it "a total victory for President Trump and a total defeat for Stormy Daniels."
“I’m not going back to Saudi Arabia as long as" Mohammed Bin Salman is in charge, Sen. Lindsey Graham said on Fox News today. “I’ve been their biggest defender on the floor of the United States Senate. This guy is a wrecking ball. He had [Khashoggi] murdered in a consulate in Turkey and to expect me to ignore it, I feel used and abused. The MBS figure is to me toxic, he can never be a world leader on the world stage.” Graham added that he intends to "sanction the hell out of Saudi Arabia.”