Obama Wants All U.S. Troops Out of Afghanistan by 2017

President Obama wants to keep 9,800 troops in Afghanistan next year, then shrink to a ‘normal embassy presence’ by 2017.

US Army soldiers attached to the 2nd platoon, C-Coy. 1-23 Infantry walk in line behind a designated mine-detecting device operator at Naja-bien village, notorious for IED caused injuries and deaths, in Panjwai district during a morning operation to find and destroy bomb traps made from IED's on September 23, 2012.
National Journal
Stephanie Gaskell, Defense One
Add to Briefcase
Stephanie Gaskell, Defense One
May 27, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

Amer­ica’s longest war just got a little longer. Pres­id­ent Barack Obama will an­nounce that he would like to keep 9,800 troops in Afgh­anistan to con­tin­ue fight­ing past the planned 2014 end of the war ““ and those troops would all leave by the end of 2016, ac­cord­ing to a seni­or ad­min­is­tra­tion of­fi­cial.

The of­fi­cial said the pres­id­ent will make the an­nounce­ment in the Rose Garden on Wed­nes­day af­ter­noon. “He will an­nounce that our com­bat mis­sion will be over by the end of 2014. He will make clear that we are open to con­tin­ued ef­forts in Afgh­anistan on two nar­row mis­sions after 2014: train­ing Afghan Forces and sup­port­ing [coun­terter­ror­ism] op­er­a­tions against the rem­nants of al Qaeda,” a seni­or ad­min­is­tra­tion of­fi­cial said. “We will only sus­tain a mil­it­ary pres­ence after 2014 if the Afghan gov­ern­ment signs the Bi­lat­er­al Se­cur­ity Agree­ment.”

Both of the lead­ing can­did­ates to suc­ceed Afghan Pres­id­ent Ham­id Kar­zai have said they would sign the agree­ment that would gov­ern Amer­ic­an forces serving in Afgh­anistan past this year. A run­off is planned, and could take weeks or months to com­plete. “As­sum­ing a BSA is signed, at the be­gin­ning of 2015, we will have 9,800 U.S. ser­vice mem­bers in dif­fer­ent parts of the coun­try, to­geth­er with our NATO al­lies and oth­er part­ners. By the end of 2015, we would re­duce that pres­ence by roughly half, con­sol­id­at­ing U.S. troops in Ka­bul and on Ba­gram Air­field. And one year later, by the end of 2016, we will draw down to a nor­mal Em­bassy pres­ence with a se­cur­ity as­sist­ance of­fice in Ka­bul, as we have done in Ir­aq,” the seni­or of­fi­cial said.

Obama made a sur­prise vis­it to Afgh­anistan over Me­mori­al Day week­end but did not meet with Kar­zai. Obama told the troops at Ba­gram Air Base that they had been suc­cess­ful in their mis­sion dur­ing the past 13 years of war in Afgh­anistan.

“With that bi­lat­er­al se­cur­ity agree­ment, as­sum­ing it is signed, we can plan for a lim­ited mil­it­ary pres­ence in Afgh­anistan bey­ond 2014. Be­cause after all the sac­ri­fices we’ve made, we want to pre­serve the gains that you have helped to win. And we’re go­ing to make sure that Afgh­anistan can nev­er again, ever, be used again to launch an at­tack against our coun­try,” Obama said.

There are cur­rently about 30,000 U.S. troops in Afgh­anistan, mostly ad­vising and as­sist­ing the Afghan se­cur­ity forces. The post-2014 force of 9,800 U.S. troops would be in ad­di­tion to a smal­ler num­ber of NATO troops

What We're Following See More »
WOULD HAVE BEEN HIS SECOND STINT
Howard Dean Pulls out of DNC Race
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

Howard Dean, the former Vermont governor and Democratic National Committee chair, announced he's pulling out of the running to regain the chairman's post. Dean "announced in a pre-recorded video to a conference of state Democratic chairs that he would step aside to allow for a new face to lead the party as it seeks to rebuild."

Source:
RUBENSTEIN FUNDING ELEVATOR REPAIR
Washington Monument Closed until 2019
6 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Once again, businessman and philanthropist David M. Rubenstein has come through for the National Park Service. This time, he's pledged funding needed to modernize the Washington Monument's elevator-- but the monument will remain closed until 2019 while repairs and improvements are underway. Rubenstein's donation of between $2-3 million, announced Friday, will correct those ongoing elevator issues, which have shuttered the monument since August 17."

Source:
$618 BILLION IN FUNDING
By a Big Margin, House Passes Defense Bill
9 hours ago
THE DETAILS

The National Defense Authorization Act passed the House this morning by a 375-34 vote. The bill, which heads to the Senate next week for final consideration, would fund the military to the tune of $618.7 billion, "about $3.2 billion more than the president requested for fiscal 2017. ... The White House has issued a veto threat on both the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill, but has not yet said if it will sign the compromise bill released by the conference committee this week."

Source:
FILED BY JILL STEIN
Michigan Attorney General Sues to End Recount
10 hours ago
THE LATEST

Bill Schuette, Michigan's attorney general, has filed a lawsuit on behalf of the state to halt the recount of the state's voting results. The recount was elected by Green Party candidate Jill Stein. Schuette says the recount shouldn't occur because Stein cited no evidence of voter fraud or tabulation error.

Source:
SUCCEEDS UPTON
Walden to Chair Energy and Commerce Committee
11 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Republicans have elected Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) the next chairman of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee. Walden defeated Reps. John Shimkus (R-IL) and Joe Barton (R-TX), the former committee chairman, in the race for the gavel" to succeed Michgan's Fred Upton.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login