Verizon is threatening to sue Netflix over a message the video site is displaying to users when their videos stall and buffer.
“The Verizon network is crowded right now,” a message to one user read. “Adjusting video for smoother playback.”
Verizon is furious that it is being blamed for poor video quality and is warning Netflix it could face legal action over the “false accusations.”
“There is no basis for Netflix to assert that issues with respect to playback of any particular video session are attributable solely to the Verizon network,” Randal Milch, Verizon’s general counsel, wrote in a cease-and-desist letter Thursday to his Netflix counterpart, David Hyman.
In all likelihood, the problems are a result of how Netflix has chosen to connect its video content to Verizon’s network, Milch claimed.
Instead of connecting directly to all broadband networks, Netflix sometimes relies on other companies to carry its traffic to the Internet service providers.
Blaming the Internet service providers, who only control the last mile of the network, is “self-serving, deceptive, inaccurate and an unfair business practice,” Milch wrote.
He demanded that Netflix stop showing the notices and that the company provide a list of all users who have received the notices.
Joris Evers, a Netflix spokesman, said the messages are about consumers “getting what they paid for from their broadband provider.”
“We are trying to provide more transparency, just like we do with the Netflix ISP Speed Index, and Verizon is trying to shut down that discussion,” Evers said. The ISP Speed Index allows consumers to compare Netflix performance on various providers.
AT&T customers have also reported receiving the congestion message, but it’s unclear what other providers Netflix is targeting.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.