President Obama’s nominee to be the top health official at the Veterans Affairs Department withdrew Thursday, his confirmation chances severely compromised by potential ties to the department’s broader “waiting list” scandal
Reports have linked Jeffrey Murawsky — who was Obama’s choice to serve as the department’s next undersecretary for health — to an Illinois facility where staff allegedly placed veterans on such secret waiting lists for medical appointments. He was also a physician at the facility, and he technically remains on staff.
Murawsky asked the White House and Sloan Gibson, the VA’s acting secretary, to pull his nomination to be the department’s next undersecretary for health.
It’s the second loss for the department in under a week, with Eric Shinseki resigning as secretary on Friday. A report from the VA’s inspector general released last month found that “inappropriate scheduling practices are a systemic problem nationwide.”
President Obama nominated Murawsky on May 1 to succeed Robert Petzel, who was expected to retire later this year. But Petzel resigned abruptly last month as the department’s scandal continued to grow.
“The president and Acting Secretary [Sloan Gibson] plan to move as quickly as possible to fill the position with the best possible candidate who can ensure that our veterans get the care they have earned and deserve,” a senior administration official said, confirming Murawsky’s decision to withdraw — originally reported by the Associated Press.
Gibson will ask a commission to recommend a new nominee for the Veterans Health Administration.
Murawsky’s decision comes as independent Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont unveiled a bipartisan bill aimed at fixing many of the VA’s problems. The legislation would make it easier for Gibson to fire senior officials, while also including — unlike a similar bill passed by the House last week — one week for employees to appeal the decision.
What We're Following See More »
"Rudy Giuliani said Friday that special counsel Robert Mueller has agreed to narrow the scope of a potential interview with President Donald Trump from five topics to two. The former New York City mayor, who is now one of Trump's lawyers in the Russia investigation, told CNN's Chris Cuomo on New Day that Mueller is not considering asking the President about his former personal attorney Michael Cohen, who's under investigation in New York over his business dealings."
Michael Cohen's financial records, given to the media last week, were leaked by a law enforcement official who "had grown alarmed after being unable to find two important reports on Cohen’s financial activity in a government database. The official, worried that the information was being withheld from law enforcement, released the remaining documents." He told the New Yorker: "This is a terrifying time to be an American."
"President Donald Trump said he was working with Chinese President Xi Jinping to keep ZTE Corp. in business, throwing an extraordinary lifeline to the Chinese telecommunication giant that has been laid low by U.S. moves to cut off its suppliers. The surprise intervention comes less than a month after ZTE was hit with an order banning U.S. companies from selling components to the Chinese business."