President Obama’s nominee to be the top health official at the Veterans Affairs Department withdrew Thursday, his confirmation chances severely compromised by potential ties to the department’s broader “waiting list” scandal
Reports have linked Jeffrey Murawsky — who was Obama’s choice to serve as the department’s next undersecretary for health — to an Illinois facility where staff allegedly placed veterans on such secret waiting lists for medical appointments. He was also a physician at the facility, and he technically remains on staff.
Murawsky asked the White House and Sloan Gibson, the VA’s acting secretary, to pull his nomination to be the department’s next undersecretary for health.
It’s the second loss for the department in under a week, with Eric Shinseki resigning as secretary on Friday. A report from the VA’s inspector general released last month found that “inappropriate scheduling practices are a systemic problem nationwide.”
President Obama nominated Murawsky on May 1 to succeed Robert Petzel, who was expected to retire later this year. But Petzel resigned abruptly last month as the department’s scandal continued to grow.
“The president and Acting Secretary [Sloan Gibson] plan to move as quickly as possible to fill the position with the best possible candidate who can ensure that our veterans get the care they have earned and deserve,” a senior administration official said, confirming Murawsky’s decision to withdraw — originally reported by the Associated Press.
Gibson will ask a commission to recommend a new nominee for the Veterans Health Administration.
Murawsky’s decision comes as independent Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont unveiled a bipartisan bill aimed at fixing many of the VA’s problems. The legislation would make it easier for Gibson to fire senior officials, while also including — unlike a similar bill passed by the House last week — one week for employees to appeal the decision.
What We're Following See More »
"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."
Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."
Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."