Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will have an easier time running for reelection in 2016 when he and his wife move out of their longtime home in Searchlight, Nev., the Democratic leader said Monday.
“I’ve got a reelection coming up, and I’ve been through a few elections commuting from Searchlight, and it’s hard,” Reid said in a video posted to his Senate website Monday.
Reid announced the sale of land, including his home, to the Nevada Milling and Mining Co. on Monday. The Associated Press reported that the company bought the house for $1.7 million.
Reid’s mention of his reelection bid stands out because he will be 78 when he’s sworn in for a sixth term, if he runs and wins in 2016. Already this year, he said he plans to run again, but questions surrounding his candidacy persist, especially given the difficult race he had against Sharron Angle in 2010.
The news of the sale marks the end of an era for Reid, who has lived in the town where he was born for the past 25 years. So fond of his hometown is Reid that he regularly speaks about it from the Senate floor. He’s written a history of the town, Searchlight: The Camp That Didn’t Fail, and has even named his leadership PAC after the town of 539 people, 60 miles south of Las Vegas.
Reid delved into extraordinary detail in the video announcing the sale, offering a tour of Searchlight memorabilia, pointing out a photo of the one-story, wood-frame house he grew up in, and demonstrating an antique-looking miner’s tool known as a carbide lamp.
“Even after all these years it still smells like carbide,” he said, unscrewing a piece of the light and holding it to his nose.
He fondly recalled living in a mobile home at one time as well as his boyhood activities.
“It was OK — it was a double-wide,” he said. Later, he added, “I remember I used to count cars…. Why? Something to do.”
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."