A key Navy leader said his service should cooperate with the Air Force on modernizing strategic missiles to cut costs.
Vice Adm. Terry Benedict, director of the Navy’s Strategic Systems Program, in a breakfast speech last week said, “In the past, it’s been, ‘the Navy designs [submarine-launched ballistic missiles], the Air Force designs [intercontinental ballistic missiles], and never shall they talk,’” Breaking Defense reported. “I’m trying to break down those walls. … We should be required to talk at the design and development phase.”
Benedict said NASA’s decision to end its Space Shuttle program has had a huge impact on the domestic rocket-engine industry because the space agency was the biggest purchaser of solid-fuel rocket boosters, which are also used in the Navy’s Trident nuclear-tipped ballistic missiles. As a result, industry prices have risen.
The vice admiral said if the Navy is unable to persuade NASA to keep purchasing solid-fuel boosters for other space programs it could try to convince the Air Force to continue using such boosters in its updated land-based missile force. The Navy cannot switch to a liquid-fuel model for its missiles because the propellant is not safe within the narrow confines of a submarine, according to the online defense magazine.
The Air Force is expected by the end of the month to wrap up an “analysis of alternatives” for maintaining a future ICBM capability. The service has said it will look to “buy the most economical and enduring option” for each component of its updated land-based strategic missile.
Benedict said he would like to see the development of a rocket “propellant mix that uses common constituents, so that we can get the cost advantage of bulk buys, and then mix them potentially in slightly different formulations [for each user].”
What We're Following See More »
"Even as he acknowledged the importance of an open internet, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai on Wednesday set his telecom agency on a course to scrap the tough, broad net neutrality protections imposed by the Obama administration. During a major speech in Washington, D.C., Pai outlined the need for a total revision of existing federal rules that seek to prevent companies like AT&T, Charter, Comcast and Verizon from blocking or slowing down web content, including the movie or music offerings from their competitors." Separately, Pai told Reason's Nick Gillespie that the Clinton Administration "basically got it right when it came to digital infrastructure. We were not living in a digital dystopia in the years leading up to 2015."
The White House on Wednesday laid out its plan for tax reform, with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin saying it would be "the biggest tax cut and the largest tax reform in the history of our country." The tax code would be broken down into just three tax brackets, with the highest personal income tax rate cut from 39.6 percent to 35 percent. The plan would also slash the tax rate on corporations and small businesses from 35 percent to 15 percent. "The White House plan is a set of principles with few details, but it’s designed to be the starting point of a major push to urge Congress to pass a comprehensive tax reform package this year," said National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement today established the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement (VOICE), as called for in a presidential executive order from January. The new office's website states that its staff "will be guided by a singular, straightforward mission—to ensure victims and their families have access to releasable information about a perpetrator and to offer assistance explaining the immigration removal process."