Nine months after Syria agreed to give up its entire chemical-weapons stockpile, almost all of it has left the country, headed for destruction in the open sea.
But nearly 8 percent, or some 100 metric tons of chemicals, remain at a single site in Syria. Reaching that site has not been easy, and it looks like the country will miss its target date of June 30 for the total destruction of its arsenal. The other 92 percent has been carted out of the country on Norwegian and Danish ships traveling to Italy. There, the chemical weapons were handed over to U.S. Navy vessels, which have been tasked with destroying them in international waters.
The last shipment out of the country took place around June 8. The remaining 8 percent is packed up and ready to go, but Syrian authorities now say that the security situation near the storage site would make any attempt to remove the chemicals too dangerous.
They have reason to worry. On May 26, a team of experts and officials from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, the lead group in the disarmament effort, and the United Nations was ambushed while traveling to the city of Kafr Zita to investigate allegations of chlorine use against civilians. The militants responsible had ignored a local cease-fire that had been “carefully negotiated” with the Syrian government and armed opposition groups in the area for that specific day. The team made it back to safety in Damascus; one driver sustained minor injuries.
But the Obama administration says that Syria is using safety concerns as an excuse to stall the OPCW investigation into its chemical-weapons use. When the disarmament operation began, the area surrounding the site was much safer than it is now, officials say. “From the beginning, we have pressed the Assad regime and we will continue to press the Assad regime to complete expeditiously removal operations,” White House press secretary Jay Carney said a few days after the attack near Kafr Zita.
The question is whether Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will listen to the U.S. on that score — and whether Russian President Vladimir Putin, his primary sponsor, will push him to do it.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.