The Pentagon’s senior financial official says that Sunday’s successful intercept test will permit plans to acquire more missile interceptors to move forward.
“It certainly paves the way” to proceed with acquisition plans for 14 additional Ground Based Interceptors, Defense Department Comptroller Robert Hale told Reuters on Tuesday.
A GBI missile armed with a second-generation kinetic kill vehicle eliminated a ballistic missile target in the Sunday test, which played out above the Pacific Ocean. The test was a closely watched event because the Pentagon’s plans to spend $1 billion to acquire 14 more of the interceptors were seen as hinging on the outcome. Previously, the missile’s last successful intercept had been in 2008, followed by three unsuccessful attempts.
“If we had had continued failures, we would have had to rethink,” Hale said. “But I think our plan now remains to buy the original 14 interceptors.”
The Pentagon wants to have the new long-range interceptors fielded at Fort Greely in Alaska by 2017 as a countermeasure to North Korea’s strategic missile program. The missiles are to be equipped with the “CE-2” Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle, which had not had a successful intercept before Sunday.
The Missile Defense Agency had stopped receiving CE-2 kill vehicles due to their testing problems, though 10 of the systems are already deployed on interceptors in Alaska and California. Their developer, Raytheon Co., now anticipates being given authorization soon to resume production of the kinetic components.
“I can’t go into programmatic details” of when manufacturing will restart for the CE-2 component, Wes Kremer, vice president for Raytheon’s air and missile defense system programs, was quoted by Inside Defense as telling journalists on Monday. “But clearly, the intent is to take this design with the fixes and deploy that as the CE-2 configuration.”
What We're Following See More »
"According to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll, the first national post-debate survey, 43 percent of registered voters said the Democratic candidate won, compared with 26 percent who opted for the Republican Party’s standard bearer. Her 6-point lead over Trump among likely voters is unchanged from our previous survey: Clinton still leads Trump 42 percent to 36 percent in the race for the White House, with Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson taking 9 percent of the vote."
After a lighthearted beginning, Donald Trump's appearance at the Al Smith charity dinner in New York "took a tough turn as the crowd repeatedly booed the GOP nominee for his sharp-edged jokes about his rival Hillary Clinton."
Evan McMullin came out on top in a Emerson College poll of Utah with 31% of the vote. Donald Trump came in second with 27%, while Hillary Clinton took third with 24%. Gary Johnson received 5% of the vote in the survey.
A new Quinnipiac University poll finds Hillary Clinton leading Donald Trump by seven percentage points, 47%-40%. Trump’s “lead among men and white voters all but” vanished from the university’s early October poll. A new PPRI/Brookings survey shows a much bigger lead, with Clinton up 51%-36%. And an IBD/TIPP poll leans the other way, showing a virtual dead heat, with Trump taking 41% of the vote to Clinton’s 40% in a four-way matchup.