Hispanic Congregation Revives Historic Baptist Church in South Carolina

Peter Cohn
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Peter Cohn
July 28, 2014, 9:16 a.m.

Na­tion­al Journ­al re­cently vis­ited Green­ville and Spartan­burg to ex­plore the changes hap­pen­ing in up­state South Car­o­lina. In the com­ing weeks, Next Amer­ica will pub­lish a series of stor­ies about the people who are shap­ing this con­ver­sa­tion.

AR­CA­DIA, S.C.—When pas­tor Joey Bur­nett told pa­rish­ion­ers that he wanted to share First Baptist Church of Ar­ca­dia with a His­pan­ic con­greg­a­tion, he was sur­prised by their re­ac­tion.

“Every­one seemed open to the idea, and this is a very tra­di­tion­al church,” he said, adding that only two people left the church be­cause of the de­cision.

In the past dec­ade, Ar­ca­dia has moved from be­ing a mostly white, middle-class town to a lower-in­come His­pan­ic com­munity. The Baptist church first opened here in 1904 to serve the fam­il­ies who worked at the nearby cot­ton mills. The con­greg­a­tion grew to more than 300 mem­bers be­fore the mills went bank­rupt in 2001. Now most of the brick mill build­ings sit aban­doned and crum­bling, and the church has seen its mem­ber­ship de­cline.

At the same time, His­pan­ic im­mig­rants have moved in­to the area, drawn to Ar­ca­dia’s af­ford­able homes and its prox­im­ity to a cluster of factor­ies that popped up near In­ter­state 85. Nearly half of the com­munity is now His­pan­ic, and Ar­ca­dia Ele­ment­ary school has the largest per­cent­age of His­pan­ic stu­dents in the state—68 per­cent, ac­cord­ing to the Edu­ca­tion De­part­ment. The neigh­bor­hood across from the church is nick­named “Little Mex­ico.”

Bur­nett and his wife, Shan­non, had been try­ing to min­is­ter to the His­pan­ic com­munity for years without much suc­cess. They star­ted the Good News Club, a weekly after-school pro­gram where chil­dren learn about the Gos­pel. The chil­dren speak Eng­lish well, but the Bur­netts struggle to com­mu­nic­ate with their Span­ish-speak­ing par­ents. “They are dif­fer­ent worlds and we are try­ing to bridge the gap,” Shan­non Bur­nett says.

When Bur­nett learned that a His­pan­ic Baptist church was look­ing for a new home, he saw two op­por­tun­it­ies. Most im­port­antly, the Span­ish ser­vices would ful­fill his goal to spread the Gos­pel to Ar­ca­dia’s Span­ish-speak­ing im­mig­rants. And the $3,000 rent would help off­set the fin­an­cial bur­den of their shrink­ing mem­ber­ship.

The His­pan­ic church, Ig­lesia Bautista Ren­acer (“Re­birth Baptist Church”), was out­grow­ing the space where it held its ser­vices near Spartan­burg. With 140 adults and their fam­il­ies, it had grown in­to the largest His­pan­ic Baptist church in South Car­o­lina. The pas­tor, Guillermo Laurent, wanted to move to a loc­a­tion where the con­greg­a­tion could reach more Lati­nos.

So in March 2012, First Baptist Church of Ar­ca­dia opened its sanc­tu­ary to Ren­acer with a bi­lin­gual ser­vice in­tro­du­cing both con­greg­a­tions. A month later, Ren­acer hos­ted the first an­nu­al Spartan­burg His­pan­ic Fest­iv­al, at­tract­ing nearly 2,000 people to the his­tor­ic church.

Phoebe Dav­is says she en­joys shar­ing the sanc­tu­ary where she has wor­shipped since the 1970s. The 79-year-old or­gan­ist has seen the com­munity change, and be­lieves it’s im­port­ant for the church to change too. “We hope [Ren­acer] can reach their com­munity, where­as we can’t be­cause a lot of them don’t speak Eng­lish,” she said.

To ac­com­mod­ate their new guests, Bur­nett moved his Sunday ser­vice to 9 a.m. so Ren­acer can have the sanc­tu­ary at 11 a.m. That makes more sense, he says, be­cause the His­pan­ic con­greg­a­tion is lar­ger and grow­ing. “I think one day this church will be­long to them,” he said.

Laurent wishes more Baptist lead­ers would em­brace the im­mig­rant com­munity the way Bur­nett does. Un­for­tu­nately, he says, that men­tal­ity is un­com­mon. Most people still view his con­greg­a­tion of con­struc­tion work­ers, roof­ers, and land­scapers as second-class cit­izens, he says. “It’s like a caste sys­tem,” says Laurent, who moved to Spartan­burg in 2009 from Costa Rica. “People are po­lite, but you get this feel­ing that they think you are be­neath them.”

He re­calls the time a pas­tor from an­oth­er church sent him a let­ter, telling him not to dis­cuss im­mig­ra­tion re­form with his pa­rish­ion­ers. An­oth­er pas­tor told him that Spartan­burg’s His­pan­ic churches were just pre­par­ing im­mig­rants to re­turn home.

It drives Laurent crazy when people say un­doc­u­mented im­mig­rants should get “in line” to enter the coun­try leg­ally. That sys­tem is broken, he says, point­ing to his own situ­ation. The 46-year-old pas­tor has been sep­ar­ated from his wife and son for five years. He came to Spartan­burg in 2009 on a re­li­gious-work­er visa to take the job as pas­tor of Ren­acer, which needed a new min­is­ter. Be­fore then, he had been preach­ing for 10 years at a church in Costa Rica and stud­ied at a sem­in­ary school in North Car­o­lina, where his two daugh­ters were born.

Laurent moved to South Car­o­lina with the un­der­stand­ing that his wife, son, and two daugh­ters would quickly fol­low. But only his daugh­ters came, be­cause they were Amer­ic­an cit­izens. The U.S. Con­su­late in San Jose denied visas to his wife and son, even though U.S. Cit­izen­ship and Im­mig­ra­tion Ser­vices had ap­proved a visa for him and his de­pend­ents. Con­su­late of­fi­cials nev­er gave Laurent’s wife, Vanessa, a reas­on for the deni­al.

The of­fice of then-Sen. Jim De­Mint got in­volved, send­ing let­ters to the State De­part­ment to find out why con­su­lar of­fi­cials in Costa Rica denied the visa. First, they said it was be­cause the church Ren­acer doesn’t ex­ist, and that it was just a visa scheme. When that was cleared up, the con­su­late denied Vanessa’s ap­plic­a­tion a second time. They said the fam­ily didn’t have prop­erty in Costa Rica, a sign that they might not re­turn home when the visa ex­pired. Laurent poin­ted out that the re­quire­ment doesn’t ap­ply to re­li­gious visas.

The third time Vanessa re­turned to the con­su­late, her visa was denied again. This time, it was be­cause she had over­stayed a tour­ist visa more than 10 years ago. The max­im­um pen­alty for over­stay­ing a tour­ist visa is a 10-year-ban from re­turn­ing to the United States, and 10 years had already passed. “I have tried to do everything right, and I’ve ended up fa­cing a wall of bur­eau­crat­ic red tape and ri­dicu­lous policies. They just ar­bit­rar­ily sep­ar­ate fam­il­ies,” says Laurent, who of­ten suf­fers bouts of de­pres­sion.

Laurent’s at­tor­ney ad­vised him against trav­el­ing to Costa Rica even to vis­it his wife, as it would be seen as a sign that he wasn’t ser­i­ous about stay­ing in the United States. So their re­la­tion­ship has sur­vived via Skype and sleep­less nights. Laurent has packed his suit­case count­less times, un­able to bear an­oth­er day apart. Then his wife re­minds him why he’s in South Car­o­lina. “This is my call­ing,” Laurent says. “God wants me to min­is­ter to this com­munity. Why do I have to choose between God and my fam­ily?”

A few months ago, Laurent got a green card, and he and his two daugh­ters traveled to Costa Rica for the first time in five years. He hopes his per­man­ent res­id­ent status will make it easi­er to bring the rest of his fam­ily over. His wife’s next ap­point­ment at the con­su­late is for Aug. 7.

Laurent won­ders if his battles with the im­mig­ra­tion sys­tem re­flect an in­sti­tu­tion­al dis­crim­in­a­tion to­ward im­mig­rants from Lat­in Amer­ica. “I don’t think it’s so hard for someone from Eng­land or France to come here,” he said.

At a re­cent Wed­nes­day-night ser­vice in the A-frame church sanc­tu­ary, Laurent tells his pa­rish­ion­ers to pray for the pres­id­ent and mem­bers of Con­gress, so they will fight for justice, not in­justice. God loves every­one equally, he tells them, wheth­er “white, black, yel­low, or purple.” “That’s why we were in­vited to be part of this church,” he says. “To show that there is no dif­fer­ence between us.”

COR­REC­TION: A pre­vi­ous ver­sion of this art­icle misid­en­ti­fied the mem­ber of Con­gress who sent let­ters to the State De­part­ment on be­half of Guillermo Laurent. It was Sen. Jim De­Mint.

What We're Following See More »
DECLINES TO HEAR APPEAL
SCOTUS Leaves Political Ad Disclosure Law In Place
1 hours ago
BREAKING

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear an appeal to the "federal disclosure rules for political advertising," leaving in place the ruling by a lower court upholding a law requiring the disclosure of donors to political ads. The appeal came from "a Denver-based libertarian think tank that wanted to run an ad without being forced to divulge its major donors," which argued that the requirement was a violation of first amendment rights under the Court's Citizens United decision.

Source:
ENLISTS THEIR HELP IN REPEAL/REPLACE
Trump Meets with Health Execs
1 hours ago
THE LATEST
WOULD CUT NON-DEFENSE BY SAME AMOUNT
Trump Budget Would Bump Defense Spending by $54 Billion
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The Trump administration is proposing a budget it says will increase defense spending by $54 billion and cut non-defense spending by the same amount. The White House is sending a topline budget proposal reflecting those figures to federal agencies on Monday afternoon, according to an Office of Management and Budget official." An unnamed OMB official said most federal agencies would face cutbacks.

Source:
WILL THE DINNER HAPPEN?
Trump To Skip Correspondents Dinner
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump announced in a tweet on Saturday that he would not attend the White House Correspondents' Association dinner in April. The move did not come as a surprise, another moment in his ongoing battle with the media, which he has dubbed the "enemy" of the American people and repeatedly refers to as "fake news." Multiple outlets have already cancelled their events surrounding the dinner and several are considering skipping the event outright.

FOLLOWS ARMY SECRETARY
Navy Secretary Nominee To Withdraw
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Phillip Bilden, Donald Trump's nominee for Navy secretary, has decided to withdraw his nomination after he was unable to sufficiently untangle his financial commitments. Bilden follows Vincent Viola, who withdrew his nomination for Army secretary.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login