Poland on Monday narrowed the field for a lucrative missile-defense contract, short-listing bids from Raytheon and a French-led consortium.
The Polish defense ministry announced it was taking out of consideration bids offered by Israel and a Lockheed Martin-led consortium, Reuters reported. Warsaw said it had altered its contract requirements to demand technology that was already fully operational and deployed by NATO member states’ militaries. Those criteria eliminated Israel’s David Sling, which is not yet deployed, and Lockheed Martin’s Medium Extended Air Defense System, which is not yet fully developed.
Raytheon is offering for sale its Patriot antimissile system, which is already used by the United States, Germany and the Netherlands.
Poland revised its tender in the wake of Russia’s incursion into Ukraine, emphasizing technology that is immediately deployable over more advanced systems that may require more development. Warsaw wants to construct a national missile defense system capable of defeating medium-range ballistic missiles launched from just outside its borders. The contract is projected to be worth roughly $5 billion.
Meanwhile, Turkey is giving foreign defense firms two more months to sweeten their proposals for selling a missile defense system to the country, the Hurriyet Daily News reported on Monday.
An anonymous Turkish official told the newspaper that companies were now being given until Aug. 30 to submit their bids — time enough for Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and Eurosam to improve their respective proposals. Ankara has twice before extended its deadline for companies to modify their antimissile bids.
Turkey last year announced it had selected a bid from a Chinese state-controlled firm to purchase its FD-2000 antimissile system. Ankara, though, has yet to finalize any contract with the Chinese company amid warnings from NATO that the Chinese technology would be incompatible with the alliance’s evolving missile shield.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump, when pressed by Lester Holt on why he finally admitted that President Obama was born in America, repeated his widely debunked claim that it was started by Hillary Clinton.
Hillary Clinton went point by point on how race can so often determine the treatment that people receive, mentioning recent shootings in Tulsa and Charlotte, calling for restored trust between communities and police, and demanding criminal justice reform. Trump responded by calling for law and order and touting his endorsements from police unions. He then said that “African Americans are living in hell,” saying they are just walking down the street and getting “shot ... being decimated by crime."
Just as Hillary Clinton was inviting debate viewers to visit her site for real-time fact checking, there appeared to be a problem with Donald Trump's own campaign website. For about a 15-minute period, a blank page or an error message appeared when we tried to load the Trump site.
Donald Trump has come out in the first segment of this debate raring to go. Trump has interrupted nearly every answer being given by Hillary Clinton, talking over her time and again. Clinton is sticking to her guns, smiling while Trump speaks and then calling on people to go to her website and see the fact checking being done.
Each candidate opened the debate sticking to their campaign's script. Hillary Clinton opened with a call for how to affect the future while Donald Trump spoke about many of the plights being faced by American workers today. Clinton discussed innovation, helping small business, and equal pay for women. Trump, in turn, discussed how jobs are leaving America, calling our country the "piggy bank" for other nations.