After several nuclear-sector lapses, U.S. Air Force Global Strike Command is creating a new position designed as a conduit between missileers and commanders.
Each of the nine missile squadrons of the 20th Air Force will get its own assistant director of operations, or “ADOs,” before summer’s end, according to a Tuesday command press release. The assistant director will be a middle-management position charged with supporting command leadership in its efforts to direct junior nuclear personnel responsible for maintaining, operating and protecting the country’s arsenal of Minuteman 3 intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Maj. Scott Fleming, who will become one of the first assistant directors of operations, said the decision to prioritize creation of the position came out of the command’s ongoing Force Improvement Program. The initiative was launched in February to address a number of professionalism and morale problems within the nuclear missileer force that were brought to light in the last year.
“I’m glad to see they are pursuing this,” Fleming said in released comments. “Historically in the ICBM units, there has been a large gap between the leadership level and those pulling the duty out there in the field. If you look at the bomber units and most of the flying units, it’s not quite set up that way. They have more mid-level management and leadership from ADOs who are able to bridge that gap.”
Lt. Col. Steven Folds of the 20th Air Force said he was optimistic that the new operations officers would be helpful in translating the orders of commanders into a language that young personnel in their first assignments and enlisted crews could understand.
“They will also ensure appropriate training is accomplished for all crew members under their charge and will direct additional training as those needs are identified,” he said.
What We're Following See More »
"Despite pressure from the White House, House GOP leaders determined Thursday night that they didn’t have the votes to pass a rewrite of the Affordable Care Act and would not seek to put their proposal on the floor on Friday. A late push to act on health care had threatened the bipartisan deal to keep the government open for one week while lawmakers crafted a longer-term spending deal. Now, members are likely to approve the short-term spending bill when it comes to the floor and keep the government open past midnight on Friday."
President Trump’s portrayal of an effort to funnel more Medicaid dollars to Puerto Rico as a "bailout" is complicating negotiations over a continuing resolution on the budget. "House Democrats are now requiring such assistance as a condition for supporting the continuing resolution," a position that the GOP leadership is amenable to. "But Mr. Trump’s apparent skepticism aligns him with conservative House Republicans inclined to view its request as a bailout, leaving the deal a narrow path to passage in Congress."
Democrats in the House are threatening to shut down the government if Republicans expedite a vote on a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, said Democratic House Whip Steny Hoyer Thursday. Lawmakers have introduced a one-week spending bill to give themselves an extra week to reach a long-term funding deal, which seemed poised to pass easily. However, the White House is pressuring House Republicans to take a vote on their Obamacare replacement Friday to give Trump a legislative victory, though it is still not clear that they have the necessary votes to pass the health care bill. This could go down to the wire.
Members of Congress are eyeing a one-week spending bill which would keep the government open past the Friday night deadline, giving lawmakers an extra week to iron out a long-term deal to fund the government. Without any action, the government would run out of funding starting at midnight Saturday. “I am optimistic that a final funding package will be completed soon," said Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-N.J., chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.