U.S. officials are worried that al-Qaida has developed a new kind of bomb that can go undetected by airport security, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Intelligence agencies recently found out that al-Qaida’s Yemeni affiliate, al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, has developed a method for smuggling explosives through airport metal detectors, body scanners and physical pat-downs, two anonymous U.S. counterterrorism officials told the newspaper in a Wednesday article.
The concern has prompted Homeland Security Department head Jeh Johnson to order the implementation of “enhanced security measures” in the days ahead for U.S.-bound flights departing from Europe and the Middle East.
Officials are reportedly worried that al-Qaida might recruit Westerners that have been radicalized from their experience fighting in the Syrian civil war to smuggle the new type of bomb aboard a U.S.-bound passenger flight. U.S. agencies do not have information about any definitive plan to attack an airliner.
The tightened security will go into effect at 15 foreign airports, unidentified officials told the New York Times. Homeland Security has shared some intelligence and details about the new security protocols with partner governments and airline companies.
Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula is understood to be more focused than any other foreign terrorist group on carrying out direct attacks on the U.S. homeland. The jihadist group thrice before has attempted unsuccessfully to bomb cargo and passenger planes flying to the United States. The organization’s head explosives expert, Ibrahim Hassan al-Asiri, is still at large and has instructed a number of followers in the art of bomb making, officials said.
Some analysts believe that al-Qaida has a new incentive to carry out a high-profile attack on the United States or Europe in order to burnish its jihadist reputation, following the recent successes of its excommunicated former franchise, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, in seizing control of broad swaths of land.
In the United Kingdom, the British Department for Transport on Wednesday announced it it would “step up some of our aviation security measures” in response to intelligence warnings from the United States, the London Guardian reported.
- 1 The 1 Easy Way Donald Trump Could Have Been Even Richer: Doing Nothing
- 2 Red-State Senate Democrats Make Their Play for Trump Voters
- 3 Race Is on to Add Another Woman to House GOP Leadership
- 4 Trump’s Interior Pick Poised to Shift Policy on Energy, Public Lands
- 5 Insurers Press GOP for Stable Market During Obamacare Repeal
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.