Report: Kerry Airs Openness to New Iran Sanctions

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
July 17, 2014, 10:09 a.m.

U.S. Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry voiced open­ness to pro­pos­als that would auto­mat­ic­ally tight­en Ir­an sanc­tions un­der cer­tain con­di­tions, al-Mon­it­or re­ports.

Ad­dress­ing a group of Jew­ish le­gis­lat­ors be­hind closed doors, the top U.S. dip­lo­mat on Thursday said he would per­son­ally con­sider im­pos­ing triggered pen­al­ties in a bid to se­cure a deal on Ir­an’s bomb-us­able nuc­le­ar activ­it­ies. The po­ten­tial meas­ures would take ef­fect if an in­ter­na­tion­al agree­ment on the mat­ter is not reached with­in a spe­cif­ic peri­od.

Kerry stressed that the Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion had not signed off on the plan, ac­cord­ing to mul­tiple U.S. law­makers. Tehran pre­vi­ously threatened to pull back from ne­go­ti­ations in re­sponse to such meas­ures.

“He said it might be use­ful as a spur,” one of the in­siders said. “But he said he hadn’t checked with the White House.”

Kerry’s re­por­ted re­mark promp­ted a fa­vor­able ini­tial re­sponse from some law­makers.

“I sensed an open­ness to­ward a sanc­tions bill that would be triggered by fu­ture events — or un­triggered by pos­it­ive fu­ture events. … I’d like to work on that,” said Rep­res­ent­at­ive Brad Sher­man (D-Cal­if). Sher­man was not one of al-Mon­it­or’s sources on Kerry’s com­ments.

The State De­part­ment said it re­mains form­ally against ad­opt­ing any new pen­al­ties against Ir­an.

“Our po­s­i­tion has not changed — we do not sup­port ad­di­tion­al nuc­le­ar-re­lated sanc­tions while we ne­go­ti­ate,” spokes­wo­man Mar­ie Harf wrote in an e-mail. “We will con­tin­ue con­sult­ing closely with Con­gress, [which] has played a key role in build­ing the sanc­tions re­gime we have in place right now, about the com­pre­hens­ive ne­go­ti­ations and the path for­ward.”

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
11 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
12 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
13 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×