TV stations have found an unlikely ally in their legal fight with the Federal Communications Commission: AT&T.
The TV broadcasters and cell-phone carriers are usually at each other’s throats as they each fight for access to as much of the public airwaves as possible.
But in a blog post Wednesday, AT&T said the FCC should cave (at least partially) to the broadcasters’ latest demands rather than risk delaying an auction of airwave licenses. Joan Marsh, AT&T’s head of regulatory affairs, said she believes the broadcasters are “willing to consider a reasonable compromise.”
“Compromise must continue to be the hallmark of the incentive auction proceeding,” she wrote, adding that industry groups and the FCC have compromised on a range of issues related to the upcoming auction. “And we believe that the issues raised by [the National Association of Broadcasters] can similarly be resolved—and resolved quickly.”
Earlier this week, the NAB sued over the FCC’s plan to buy back their broadcast licenses for auction to the cell-phone industry.
TV stations don’t have to participate in the auction, and the airwaves will mean faster smartphone connections for millions of consumers. But the broadcasters claimed that the stations that skip the auction could reach fewer viewers and could be forced to pay millions of dollars to revamp their equipment to work on new channels.
The group wants the FCC to rework its rules but is not trying to stop the auction entirely. The broadcasters are urging the FCC to set aside an additional $500 million to compensate the TV stations for their expenses and to use a different formula to ensure that the stations can reach the same number of viewers as before the auction.
An FCC spokesperson said the agency is “confident” the plan complies with the law.
But a prolonged legal battle could force the agency to delay the auction, which is scheduled for next year. The cell-phone industry has been clamoring for more airwaves as soon as possible, warning that their networks could soon become congested due to skyrocketing traffic.
In a note to investors, Paul Gallant of Guggenheim Partners said the lawsuit could delay the auction by six months to a year. That is, of course, unless the FCC just gives the broadcasters what they want.
A broadcast industry official said it’s a “good sign” that AT&T has indicated it wants a compromise on the issue.
“So now the question is, will the FCC compromise?” the official said.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump is set to issue a new and more focused executive order clarifying the scope of his travel ban, hoping that the order will survive legal challenges. The new order would focus on the same seven countries, "but would only bar entry to those without a visa and who have never entered the United States before. Unlike the original order, people from those countries who already have permanent U.S. residency (green cards) or visas would not face any restrictions." Some lawyers believe the government will now have much stronger standing, though lawyers who challenged the initial order see the same core problems with the forthcoming ban.
"President Donald Trump announced Monday that Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster will serve as his next national security adviser, filling the void left last week by the sudden dismissal of Michael Flynn. ... Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who had been serving as the acting national security adviser since Flynn's exit, will return to his role as chief of staff of the National Security Council." The pick was widely praised on both sides of the aisle.
"Ret. Vice Adm. Bob Harward turned down President Donald Trump's offer to be national security adviser Thursday, depriving the administration of a top candidate for a critical foreign policy post days after Trump fired Michael Flynn." Among the potential reasons: his family, his lack of assurances that he could build his own team, and that "the White House seems so chaotic."