Cellular carriers spent nearly $45 billion in an auction of wireless frequencies, blowing past even the highest estimates, the Federal Communications Commission announced Thursday.
The astronomical figure shows just how desperate carriers such as AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile are for access to more airwaves to power their customers’ devices. The additional bandwidth will help their customers stream high-quality videos and download apps more quickly. Without sufficient airwaves, also called spectrum, wireless networks can become congested and slow.
The auction, which many had predicted would raise at most $18 billion, is officially the largest in U.S. history. The FCC has yet to announce the winners of the auction.
The U.S. government plans to use about $7 billion of the revenue to build a nationwide high-speed communications network for firefighters and police officers. The rest will go to paying down the federal debt.
“Now, an additional 65 megahertz of spectrum is available to improve wireless connectivity across the country and accelerate the mobile revolution that is driving economic growth and improving the lives of the American people,” FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said in a statement.
CTIA, the lobbying group for the wireless carriers, said the auction is only a “first step” and that policymakers need to do more to ensure that carriers have access to enough spectrum to meet the skyrocketing demands of their customers.
Although the additional spectrum will improve wireless networks, stock shares for the major carriers have slipped in recent weeks as the auction figure continued to climb upward. Few expected how much the carriers would have to spend in the auction.
The surprising figure is also a sign that the carriers will shell out even more money for a much larger auction set for 2016. In that auction, TV stations will sell off their licenses to the wireless industry.
What We're Following See More »
Oregon Senator Ron Wyden, ranking member of the Senate Finance Committee, grilled Steven Mnuchin, Donald Trump's nominee for treasury secretary, and was unhappy with Mnuchin's answers, complaining about a lack of specifics. "We didn't hear what you'd do to fight ISIS," Wyden said. "We didn't get any specifics on Medicare"
Donald Trump's nominee to become the next secretary of the Treasury Department, Steven Mnuchin, has spent much of his opening statement defending his record at OneWest Bank, which he co-founded and where he served as chairman and CEO. OneWest Bank has been criticized as a "foreclosure machine" following the Great Recession in 2008 and Mnuchin has been criticized for laying people off during the crisis.
The latest move in an ongoing battle between Republicans and the Office of Government Ethics came earlier this week when OGE Director Walter Schaub sent a letter to Rep. Jason Chaffetz, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Chaffetz had requested "a private meeting on Jan. 23 with Chaffetz, ranking member Elijah Cummings, D-Md., and staff members." Schaub responded with a letter asking that Chaffetz reconsider his stance that no public testimony would be acceptable and that Chaffetz call Schaub in front of the committee for public testimony.
Rep. Mick Mulvaney, President-elect Donald Trump's choice to run the Office of Management and Budget, admitted he "failed to pay more than $15,000 in payroll taxes for a household worker" from 2000-2004. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, noting that similar lapses have torpedoed Democratic nominees, said Mulvaney should withdraw. Meanwhile, Commerce secretary nominee Wilbur Ross "admitted at his Senate confirmation hearing Wednesday that he recently fired a household employee who could not provide proof that they could legally work in the country."