Hillary Clinton’s Campaign Declares War Against ‘Clinton Cash’

In everything from YouTube videos to a 42-page opposition report, the Democrat’s camp is aiming to discredit the book’s author and undercut its accusations.

Hillary Clinton speaks during the annual Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) meeting on September 25, 2013 in New York City.
National Journal
May 5, 2015, 7:34 a.m.

Clinton Cash gets released Tuesday, and Hillary Clinton’s campaign is going on the offensive to undercut the book and discredit its author before the message ever reaches readers’ hands.

With everything from a YouTube video to emails for supporters to Medium posts to a 42-page opposition research report from a Clinton-aligned group, the Democrat’s team is throwing everything it has at Clinton Cash.

The book, by conservative author Peter Schweizer, accuses Clinton of dirty dealings during her time as secretary of State, alleging that she traded access and influence for foundation donations—including those from foreign donors. The accusations have been a headache for Clinton since before she announced her campaign, spawning headlines in major newspapers and shifting the national conversation about Clinton far, far away from her campaign message.

(RELATED: Bill Breaks Hillary’s Silence on Clinton Foundation Donations

When the accusations first surfaced, Clinton herself was largely quiet on the topic, dismissing it as an attempt to distract voters from more substantial issues. Since then, they’ve slowly ramped up their defense efforts: Clinton’s campaign issued a lengthy condemnation of a New York Times story regarding a Canadian Clinton Foundation donor getting State Department approval to sell uranium holdings to a Russian company, and her allies launched a fact-check of the Schweizer’s allegations when excerpts from the book were floated.

Now, with the book’s full release, Clinton’s team is going all out, suggesting they don’t see the accusations as controversies that will burn themselves out, but rather as a fire they need to actively extinguish.

For campaigns, pushing back on unflattering reports is pro-forma, but the team’s effort goes above and beyond the standard plan. On Tuesday morning, Clinton’s campaign launched what it’s calling “The Briefing,” a new section of its website, paired with videos and posts on other social-media platforms, that aims to combat what an email to supporters describes as “whatever far-flung theories [Republicans] can find in order to try and distract from Hillary’s record of fighting for everyday Americans.”

(RELATED: Hillary Clinton and the Tragic Politics of Crime

In the 2.5-minute introductory YouTube video, Clinton press secretary Brian Fallon says the book is “full of sloppy research and attacks pulled out of thin air with no actual evidence.” Fallon goes through all the biggest allegations from the book, cutting to footage from various TV networks, all of which point out the lack of direct evidence or a “smoking gun.” (The new Clinton website also lists “10 Things You Should Know” about the book, linking to media coverage of various sections of it.)

“The bottom line is this: as secretary of State, Hillary Clinton made decisions based on her commitment to protecting America’s national security and standing up for freedom and dignity around the world, not the interests of donors to the Clinton Foundation,” Fallon says.

Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta posted to Medium about the new effort, pointing to Clinton Cash and the Benghazi proceedings on the Hill as proof that Republicans “seem to only want to distort Hillary Clinton’s record.”

(RELATED: Martin O’Malley’s Passive-Aggressive Campaign Against Hillary Clinton

The new book is getting further pushback from the pro-Clinton group Correct the Record, which served as an unofficial rapid-response operation before her campaign was announced. In a 42-page report, Correct the Record goes line by line through the various allegations in Schweizer’s book, including questions about the Clinton Foundation’s involvement in the Russian uranium company purchase, Bill Clinton’s dealings in Kazakhstan, and questions over Hillary Clinton’s support for a U.S.-India nuclear deal.

The response is far different from two months ago, when Clinton—who then had not yet launched a full campaign and communications operation—waited eight days to hold a press conference following the revelation that she’d conducted State Department business on a private email server. With Clinton Cash in the news these last few weeks, her team has been pushing back pretty consistently, an approach that appears likely to be norm going forward.

What We're Following See More »
FOR IMPROPER SPENDING, INFLUENCE
Trump Inauguration Spending Now Under Investigation
24 minutes ago
THE LATEST

"Federal prosecutors in Manhattan are investigating whether President Trump’s 2017 inaugural committee misspent some of the record $107 million it raised from donations, people familiar with the matter said. The criminal probe by the Manhattan U.S. attorney’s office, which is in its early stages, also is examining whether some of the committee’s top donors gave money in exchange for access to the incoming Trump administration, policy concessions or to influence official administration positions."

Source:
WOULD HAVE CROSSED NATIONAL FORESTS
Federal Judges Nix Proposed Atlantic Pipeline
1 hours ago
THE DETAILS

In a rare rebuke to energy companies in the Trump era, "a panel of federal judges has rejected permits for the Atlantic Coast natural gas pipeline to cross two national forests and the Appalachian trail in Virginia, finding that the national Forest Service 'abdicated its responsibility' and kowtowed to private industry in approving the project. The harshly worded, 60-page decision issued Thursday by three judges from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit is part of a string of legal setbacks for the 600-mile pipeline. The $7 billion project, being built by a consortium of companies led by Dominion Energy, is planned to carry natural gas from West Virginia, through Virginia and into North Carolina."

Source:
PINS KHASHOGGI KILLING ON MBS
Senate Moves to End Support for Saudi War
2 hours ago
WHY WE CARE
REP. POLIQUIN HAD CHALLENGED THE LAW
Federal Judge Upholds Ranked-Choice Voting in Maine
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A federal judge on Thursday rejected Republican U.S. Rep. Bruce Poliquin’s constitutional claims against ranked-choice voting and denied the incumbent’s request for a new election against Democratic Congressman-elect Jared Golden. U.S. District Court Judge Lance Walker ruled that, contrary to the arguments of Poliquin’s legal team, the U.S. Constitution does not require that whichever congressional candidates receives the most votes—or 'a plurality'—be declared the winner. Instead, Walker ruled the Constitution grants states broad discretion to run elections."

Source:
SAUDI ARABIA, ISRAEL, AND THE UAE
Mueller Probing Middle East Countries' Influence Campaigns
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Officials working under Special Counsel Robert Mueller are investigating Middle Eastern countries' attempts to influence American politics, and are set to release the findings in early 2019. "Various witnesses affiliated with the Trump campaign have been questioned about their conversations with deeply connected individuals from the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Israel ... Topics in those meetings ranged from the use of social-media manipulation to help install Trump in the White House to the overthrow of the regime in Iran." Investigators are also probing meetings organized by Lebanese-American businessman George Nader, and Joel Zamel, "a self-styled Mark Zuckerberg of the national-security world with deep ties to Israeli intelligence."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login