We finally have a number for how many people who enrolled in Obamacare exchanges were previously uninsured: about 4.6 million.
Fifty-seven percent of the more than 8 million individuals who purchased private coverage through the health law’s new insurance marketplaces were uninsured beforehand, according to a new survey from the nonpartisan Kaiser Family Foundation, released Thursday. Most said they had been without coverage for at least two years.
“There’s no magic number or target, but it’s a much bigger percentage than critics suggested we’d see,” said Drew Altman, president and CEO of KFF. “Like everything with the ACA, the facts are somewhere between what critics and advocates are saying.”
The Obama administration has touted its overall enrollment number as evidence of success in the goal of reducing the uninsured rate. But the law’s critics and supporters alike have long wondered how many of those individuals are actually gaining coverage, and how many simply switched from a different insurance plan.
The new Kaiser findings affirm what we already knew: that considering all 8 million enrollees “newly insured” because of the health law is inaccurate. Among non-group exchange enrollees, 16 percent say they were previously covered by a different non-group plan; 14 percent say they were covered by an employer/COBRA; and 9 percent say they were covered by Medicaid or another public program.
But the survey also throws cold water on critics’ assertions that very few enrollees were previously uninsured.
“It may or may not be as large a percentage as advocates would like,” said Altman. “[But] for more than half [of enrollees] to be previously uninsured, it shows criticism was far from the mark.”
The findings are difficult to measure against any specific standard, as the administration did not set a target for percentage of new enrollees who were previously uninsured. The survey also does not take into account gains in employer-sponsored insurance or Medicaid expansion.
The numbers also come with the usual caveat that we still don’t know the number of enrollees who actually paid their first month’s premium and ended up with coverage, points out Larry Levitt, senior vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation. Estimates from insurers have ranged from 80 to 90 percent.
The survey also addresses two other policy debates that have been yet-unanswered: health status of enrollees and plan cancellations.
The majority of enrollees in ACA-compliant plans report being in good health, though the percentage is lower than in noncompliant plans. Seventeen percent of those in compliant plans say they are in fair or poor health, compared with 6 percent in noncompliant plans. The skewing was to be expected, since the health law requires insurers to cover all individuals, regardless of health status.
Age has been used as a proxy for health in the past, but the survey offers more concrete insight into the metrics that insurers could use to set premium rates for next year. However, this will still depend on individual insurers; many likely anticipated the sicker-than-average mix when they set their rates for this year.
Thursday’s survey also found that concerns over “rate shock” for individuals with plan cancellations were largely unfounded. Those who switched plans due to cancellation notices or other reasons are more likely to say their premiums went down rather than up, and more likely to say their new plan covers more services.
Overall though, plan switchers — those with plan cancellations in particular — report less satisfaction with cost and value of their plan compared with previously uninsured consumers in compliant plans.
The survey was conducted April 3 to May 11, among a random sample of 742 adults ages 18 to 64. The margin of error is plus or minus 4 percentage points.
What We're Following See More »
Instead of his usual stump speech, Bernie Sanders tonight threw his support behind Hillary Clinton, providing a clear contrast between Clinton and GOP nominee Donald Trump on the many issues he used to discuss in his campaign stump speeches. Sanders spoke glowingly about the presumptive Democratic nominee, lauding her work as first lady and as a strong advocate for women and the poor. “We need leadership in this country which will improve the lives of working families, the children, the elderly, the sick and the poor,” he said. “Hillary Clinton will make a great president, and I am proud to stand with her tonight."
In a stark contrast from Michelle Obama's uplifting speech, Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren spoke about the rigged system plaguing Americans before launching into a full-throated rebuke of GOP nominee Donald Trump. Trump is "a man who has never sacrificed anything for anyone," she claimed, before saying he "must never be president of the United States." She called him divisive and selfish, and said the American people won't accept his "hate-filled America." In addition to Trump, Warren went after the Republican Party as a whole. "To Republicans in Congress who said no, this November the American people are coming for you," she said.
"In this election, and every election, it's about who will have the power to shape our children for the next four or eight years of their lives," Michelle Obama said. "There is only one person who I trust with that responsibility … and that is our friend Hillary Clinton." In a personal and emotional speech, Michelle Obama spoke about the effect that angry oppositional rhetoric had on her children and how she chose to raise them. "When they go low, we go high," Obama said she told her children about dealing with bullies. Obama stayed mostly positive, but still offered a firm rebuke of Donald Trump, despite never once uttering his name. "The issues a president faces cannot be boiled down to 140 characters," she said.
Many Bernie Sanders delegates have spent much of the first day of the Democratic National Convention resisting unity, booing at mentions of Hillary Clinton and often chanting "Bernie! Bernie!" Well, one of the most outspoken Bernie Sanders supporters just told them to take a seat. "To the Bernie-or-bust people: You're being ridiculous," said comedian Sarah Silverman in a brief appearance at the Convention, minutes after saying that she would proudly support Hillary Clinton for president.
The Democratic National Committee issued a formal apology to Bernie Sanders today, after leaked emails showed staffers trying to sabotage his presidential bid. "On behalf of everyone at the DNC, we want to offer a deep and sincere apology to Senator Sanders, his supporters, and the entire Democratic Party for the inexcusable remarks made over email," DNC officials said in the statement. "These comments do not reflect the values of the DNC or our steadfast commitment to neutrality during the nominating process. The DNC does not—and will not—tolerate disrespectful language exhibited toward our candidates."