Navy: Plan to Build New Strategic Sub Requires ‘Unsustainable’ Funding

None

July 8, 2014, 6:59 a.m.

The U.S. Navy says that it can­not af­ford to sim­ul­tan­eously build a new stra­tegic sub­mar­ine fleet and to up­date the rest of its con­ven­tion­al ships.

In a Ju­ly 1 re­port to Con­gress on its long-term ship­build­ing plan, the Navy said by fisc­al 2032 it would be spend­ing in ex­cess of $24 bil­lion an­nu­ally — al­most double the tra­di­tion­al av­er­age of $13 bil­lion, In­side De­fense re­por­ted. The sea ser­vice de­scribed that amount of fund­ing as “un­sus­tain­able.”

“There will be re­sourcing chal­lenges out­side the [fisc­al 2015 - fisc­al 2019 fu­ture years de­fense plan] largely due to in­vest­ment re­quire­ments as­so­ci­ated wit the SSBN(X) re­quire­ment,” wrote U.S. Deputy De­fense Sec­ret­ary Robert Work in the 28-page re­port. “SSBN(X)” refers to the planned suc­cessor class to the Ohio bal­list­ic mis­sile sub­mar­ine.

The Navy’s long-term ship­build­ing plan does not factor in cur­rent de­fense spend­ing caps im­posed by the 2011 Budget Con­trol Act.

Ac­quis­i­tion costs for the next-gen­er­a­tion nuc­le­ar de­liv­ery vehicle are fore­cast in the re­port to boost yearly ship­build­ing spend­ing to an av­er­age of $19.7 bil­lion yearly dur­ing the fisc­al 2015 - fisc­al 2019 peri­od.

The need to mod­ern­ize the U.S. stra­tegic sub­mar­ine fleet “will cause sig­ni­fic­ant and note­worthy risks to the Navy’s over­all ship­build­ing plan,” the re­port says.

The pro­jec­ted cost of the lead SSBN(X) sub­mar­ine also has in­creased, rising by about $400 mil­lion from last year’s pro­jec­tion to $12.4 bil­lion, ac­cord­ing to the Navy.

There is a move­ment in both cham­bers of Con­gress to cre­ate a sep­ar­ate fund to pay for the new stra­tegic sub­mar­ine fleet in or­der to pre­vent the ex­pense from swamp­ing the Navy’s ship­build­ing budget. The Sen­ate Armed Ser­vices Com­mit­tee in May passed an­nu­al de­fense-au­thor­iz­a­tion le­gis­la­tion that would re­quire the es­tab­lish­ment of a “Na­tion­al Sea-based De­terrence Fund.” Le­gis­la­tion with a sim­il­ar goal has already been ap­proved by the House of Rep­res­ent­at­ives.

Con­struc­tion of the new sub­mar­ine fleet is an­ti­cip­ated to be­gin in fisc­al 2021. A total of 12 new ves­sels — armed with nuc­le­ar-tipped Tri­dent D-5 bal­list­ic mis­siles — are planned for ac­quis­i­tion.

What We're Following See More »
A DARK CLOUD OVER TRUMP?
Snowstorm Could Impact Primary Turnout
2 days ago
THE LATEST

A snowstorm is supposed to hit New Hampshire today and “linger into Primary Tuesday.” GOP consultant Ron Kaufman said lower turnout should help candidates who have spent a lot of time in the state tending to retail politicking. Donald Trump “has acknowledged that he needs to step up his ground-game, and a heavy snowfall could depress his figures relative to more organized candidates.”

Source:
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
A Shake-Up in the Offing in the Clinton Camp?
2 days ago
THE DETAILS

Anticipating a primary loss in New Hampshire on Tuesday, Hillary and Bill Clinton “are considering staffing and strategy changes” to their campaign. Sources tell Politico that the Clintons are likely to layer over top officials with experienced talent, rather than fire their staff en masse.

Source:
THE LAST ROUND OF NEW HAMPSHIRE POLLS
Trump Is Still Ahead, but Who’s in Second?
1 days ago
THE LATEST

We may not be talking about New Hampshire primary polls for another three-and-a-half years, so here goes:

  • American Research Group’s tracking poll has Donald Trump in the lead with 30% support, followed by Marco Rubio and John Kasich tying for second place at 16%. On the Democratic side, Bernie Sanders leads Hillary Clinton 53%-41%.
  • The 7 News/UMass Lowell tracking poll has Trump way out front with 34%, followed by Rubio and Ted Cruz with 13% apiece. Among the Democrats, Sanders is in front 56%-40%.
  • A Gravis poll puts Trump ahead with 28%, followed by Kasich with 17% and Rubio with 15%.
IT’S ALL ABOUT SECOND PLACE
CNN Calls the Primary for Sanders and Trump
1 days ago
THE LATEST

Well that didn’t take long. CNN has already declared Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump the winners of the New Hampshire primary, leaving the rest of the candidates to fight for the scraps. Five minutes later, the Associated Press echoed CNN’s call.

Source:
×