After several nuclear-sector lapses, U.S. Air Force Global Strike Command is creating a new position designed as a conduit between missileers and commanders.
Each of the nine missile squadrons of the 20th Air Force will get its own assistant director of operations, or “ADOs,” before summer’s end, according to a Tuesday command press release. The assistant director will be a middle-management position charged with supporting command leadership in its efforts to direct junior nuclear personnel responsible for maintaining, operating and protecting the country’s arsenal of Minuteman 3 intercontinental ballistic missiles.
Maj. Scott Fleming, who will become one of the first assistant directors of operations, said the decision to prioritize creation of the position came out of the command’s ongoing Force Improvement Program. The initiative was launched in February to address a number of professionalism and morale problems within the nuclear missileer force that were brought to light in the last year.
“I’m glad to see they are pursuing this,” Fleming said in released comments. “Historically in the ICBM units, there has been a large gap between the leadership level and those pulling the duty out there in the field. If you look at the bomber units and most of the flying units, it’s not quite set up that way. They have more mid-level management and leadership from ADOs who are able to bridge that gap.”
Lt. Col. Steven Folds of the 20th Air Force said he was optimistic that the new operations officers would be helpful in translating the orders of commanders into a language that young personnel in their first assignments and enlisted crews could understand.
“They will also ensure appropriate training is accomplished for all crew members under their charge and will direct additional training as those needs are identified,” he said.
What We're Following See More »
Despite trailing Hillary Clinton by a significant margin, Bernie Sanders wasn't going the way of Ted Cruz tonight. The Vermont senator upset Clinton in Indiana, with MSNBC calling the race at 9pm. Sanders appears poised to win by a five- or six-point spread.
And just like that, it's over. Ted Cruz will suspend his presidential campaign after losing badly to Donald Trump in Indiana tonight. "While Cruz had always hedged when asked whether he would quit if he lost Indiana; his campaign had laid a huge bet on the state." John Kasich's campaign has pledged to carry on. “From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” said Cruz. “Tonight, I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed."
The Republican establishment's last remaining hope—a contested convention this summer—may have just ended in Indiana, as Donald Trump won a decisive victory over Ted Cruz. Nothing Cruz seemed to have in his corner seemed to help—not a presumptive VP pick in Carly Fiorina, not a midwestern state where he's done well in the past, and not the state's legions of conservatives. Though Trump "won't secure the 1,237 delegates he needs to formally claim the nomination until June, his Indiana triumph makes it almost impossible to stop him. Following his decisive wins in New York and other East Coast states, the Indiana victory could put Trump within 200 delegates of the magic number he needs to clinch the nomination." Cruz, meanwhile, "now faces the agonizing choice of whether to remain in the race, with his attempt to force the party into a contested convention in tatters, or to bow out and cede the party nomination to his political nemesis." The Associated Press, which called the race at 7pm, predicts Trump will win at least 45 delegates.