The Pentagon’s senior financial official says that Sunday’s successful intercept test will permit plans to acquire more missile interceptors to move forward.
“It certainly paves the way” to proceed with acquisition plans for 14 additional Ground Based Interceptors, Defense Department Comptroller Robert Hale told Reuters on Tuesday.
A GBI missile armed with a second-generation kinetic kill vehicle eliminated a ballistic missile target in the Sunday test, which played out above the Pacific Ocean. The test was a closely watched event because the Pentagon’s plans to spend $1 billion to acquire 14 more of the interceptors were seen as hinging on the outcome. Previously, the missile’s last successful intercept had been in 2008, followed by three unsuccessful attempts.
“If we had had continued failures, we would have had to rethink,” Hale said. “But I think our plan now remains to buy the original 14 interceptors.”
The Pentagon wants to have the new long-range interceptors fielded at Fort Greely in Alaska by 2017 as a countermeasure to North Korea’s strategic missile program. The missiles are to be equipped with the “CE-2” Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicle, which had not had a successful intercept before Sunday.
The Missile Defense Agency had stopped receiving CE-2 kill vehicles due to their testing problems, though 10 of the systems are already deployed on interceptors in Alaska and California. Their developer, Raytheon Co., now anticipates being given authorization soon to resume production of the kinetic components.
“I can’t go into programmatic details” of when manufacturing will restart for the CE-2 component, Wes Kremer, vice president for Raytheon’s air and missile defense system programs, was quoted by Inside Defense as telling journalists on Monday. “But clearly, the intent is to take this design with the fixes and deploy that as the CE-2 configuration.”
What We're Following See More »
Trump, in a statement: “Based on the fact that the Democratic nominating process is totally rigged and Crooked Hillary Clinton and Deborah Wasserman Schultz will not allow Bernie Sanders to win, and now that I am the presumptive Republican nominee, it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second place finisher. ... I will wait to debate the first place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be.”
"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration identified on Friday the makes and models of 12 million cars and motorcycles that have been recalled because of defective air bag inflators made by Japanese supplier Takata. The action includes 4.3 million Chryslers; 4.5 million Hondas; 1.6 million Toyotas; 731,000 Mazdas; 402,000 Nissans; 383,000 Subarus; 38,000 Mitsubishis; and 2,800 Ferraris. ... Analysts have said it could take years for all of the air bags to be replaced. Some have questioned whether Takata can survive the latest blow."
"It's about time for unity," said UAW President Dennis Williams. "We're endorsing Hillary Clinton. She's gotten 3 million more votes than Bernie, a million more votes than Donald Trump. She's our nominee." He called Sanders "a great friend of the UAW" while saying Trump "does not support the economic security of UAW families." Some 28 percent of UAW members indicated their support for Trump in an internal survey.
"Donald Trump on Thursday reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and sets the stage for a bitter fall campaign. Trump was put over the top in the Associated Press delegate count by a small number of the party's unbound delegates who told the AP they would support him at the convention."