In Brussels, Hagel Urges NATO Countries to Boost Military Spending

Global Security Newswire Staff
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
June 3, 2014, 10:15 a.m.

U.S. De­fense Sec­ret­ary Chuck Hagel on Tues­day called on NATO coun­tries to in­crease their mil­it­ary spend­ing in re­sponse to re­cent events in Ukraine.

Speak­ing at a meet­ing of al­li­ance de­fense min­is­ters in Brus­sels, the U.S. de­fense chief im­plored NATO to “come to grips with the po­ten­tially dire con­sequences of cur­rent trends in re­duced de­fense in­vest­ment,” Re­u­ters re­por­ted. “Al­lies must demon­strate lead­er­ship and re­solve, and re­verse these trends,” he said.

The United States has routinely urged oth­er mem­ber states of the 28-coun­try al­li­ance to ratchet up their de­fense spend­ing. But it was not un­til Rus­sia’s spring in­cur­sion in­to Ukraine that some European NATO coun­tries really ap­peared to take the U.S. mes­sage to heart. Ro­mania, Latvia, Lithuania and Po­land have all an­nounced that they will be put­ting more money in­to their re­spect­ive mil­it­ar­ies as a re­sponse to Rus­sia’s ag­gress­ive tac­tics.

“We can­not shrink from this chal­lenge,” Hagel said. “We must re­af­firm the se­cur­ity guar­an­tees that lie at the heart of this al­li­ance. And we must hold fast to those guar­an­tees by sum­mon­ing the will to in­vest in a re­vital­ized NATO.”

NATO min­is­ters have agreed to draft a “read­i­ness ac­tion plan” on long-term meas­ures for in­creas­ing de­fenses in East­ern Europe. The plan is to be ready in time for the Septem­ber al­li­ance sum­mit in Wales.

Mo­scow’s an­nex­a­tion of the Crimean Pen­in­sula and its sus­pec­ted ef­forts to destabil­ize east­ern Ukraine have promp­ted NATO to re-ex­am­ine some of its long­stand­ing post-Cold War be­liefs about sta­bil­ity and de­terrence on the con­tin­ent, Re­u­ters sep­ar­ately re­por­ted.

“It’s not that the lead­er­ship in Rus­sia … is look­ing for a war — and the United States cer­tainly isn’t. The real worry is mis­cal­cu­la­tion,” said former Pentagon policy of­fi­cial Kath­leen Hicks.

What We're Following See More »
CONTRACTS MAY NOT BE RENEWED
Senate Contractors Short Cafeteria Workers by $1 Million
20 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

"The Labor Department announced Tuesday that federal contractors had shorted 674 Senate cafeteria workers to the tune of $1 million. Two companies, Restaurant Associates and its subcontractor, Personnel Plus, violated the law by misclassifying workers into lower-paying positions and having them work off the clock, the agency said." The department is looking into whether to renew the contracts.

Source:
ASSANGE WANTS TO CRIPPLE CLINTON’S CHANCES
Spy Agencies Hone in on Russia as Culprit of DNC Hack
32 minutes ago
THE LATEST

"American intelligence agencies have told the White House they now have 'high confidence' that the Russian government was behind the theft of emails and documents from the Democratic National Committee, according to federal officials who have been briefed on the evidence. But intelligence agencies have cautioned that they are uncertain whether the electronic break-in at the committee's computer systems was intended as fairly routine cyberespionage—of the kind the United States also conducts around the world—or as part of an effort to manipulate the 2016 presidential election." WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange "has made it clear that he hoped to harm Hillary Clinton's chances of winning the presidency."

Source:
FOUNDER PRAISED TRUMP AT CONVENTION
Colony Capital Pulled Out of Trump Hotel
43 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

Colony Capital Founder Tom Barrack spoke on Donald Trump's behalf at the Democratic National Convention last week. But as the Washington Post learned, his company pulled out of Trump's Old Post Office project. The two companies issued a joint statement when the project was announced. But as a Colony spokeswoman told the Post, “Colony exited the joint venture after the project’s timeline became too long for the firm. As the project evolved, cheaper sources of capital for longer term investment became available to Trump." The Trump Organization is now financing the project through their own cash and a loan from Deutsche Bank. It's scheduled to open Sept. 12.

Source:
MAN WHO SHOT RONALD REAGAN
John Hinckley Jr. Granted Release
52 minutes ago
WHY WE CARE

Thirty-five years after he tried to kill President Reagan, John Hinckley Jr. has been freed. "A federal judge in Washington, D.C., has granted a request for Hinckley to leave the mental hospital where he's lived for decades, to go live full-time with his elderly mother in Williamsburg, VA. The release could happen as early as next week, the judge ruled. Under the terms of his order, Hinckley is not allowed to contact his victims, their relatives or actress Jodie Foster, with whom he was obsessed. Hinckley also will not be permitted to 'knowingly travel' to areas where the current president or members or Congress are present. The judge said Hinckley could be allowed to live on his own or in a group home after one year.

Source:
SHARES THEIR LOVE STORY
Bill Clinton Gets Personal in Convention Speech
11 hours ago
THE DETAILS

“In the spring of 1971, I met a girl,” started Bill Clinton. In his speech Tuesday night at the Democratic National Convention, Clinton brought a personal touch, telling parallel stories of his relationship with Hillary Clinton and the work she has done throughout her career. He lauded the Democratic nominee for her career of work, touching on her earliest days of advocacy for children and those with disabilities while in law school, her role as Secretary of State, and her work in raising their daughter, Chelsea. Providing a number of anecdotes throughout the speech, Clinton built to a crescendo, imploring the audience to support his wife for president. "You should elect her, she'll never quit when the going gets tough," he said. "Your children and grandchildren will be grateful."

×