Russia accused U.S. lawmakers of hosting “a propaganda event” last week to examine its biological-weapons potential, Interfax reports.
The Russian foreign ministry dismissed assertions in May 7 congressional testimony that Moscow may continue to oversee a biological-arms program. The ministry blamed the United States for the absence of a monitoring system under the Biological Weapons Convention, which prohibits member nations from developing, manufacturing or possessing biological materials for use in combat.
“Russia supports consistently enhancing [the treaty] by drafting and passing an additional legally binding protocol stipulating, among other things, nondiscriminatory and efficient verification measures,” the ministry argued in prepared comments.
The United States unilaterally cut short a decade of “significant work” by treaty signatories to establish verification procedures, and since that time has remained steadfast in its opposition to a monitoring regime, the Russian office stated.
Russia issued the remarks in reaction to a hearing of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, where University of Maryland senior scholar Milton Leitenberg said the existence of a Russian biological-arms program cannot be ruled out because Moscow does not permit outside access to key facilities of concern.
According to the ministry, “It is surprising that certain representatives of the U.S. establishment continue demanding unilateral access to the Russian biological facilities amid the U.S. refusal from such a fair and clear [verification] mechanism. Such demands are inappropriate and unacceptable.”
The foreign office added that participants in the congressional hearing misinterpreted a 2012 article in which Russian President Vladimir Putin said “genetic” technologies could pave the way for more sophisticated biological arms.
The leader suggested that such techniques “could be used abroad,” but the “thought was turned upside down at the hearing in the Congress,” the Russian ministry said.
What We're Following See More »
An aide to Mitt Romney confirmed to the Washington Post that the 2102 GOP nominee will not attend the Republican convention this year. He joins the two living Republican presidents, George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, as well as 2008 nominee John McCain in skipping the event. Even among living Republican nominees, that leaves only Bob Dole who could conceivably show up. Dole did say in January that he'd prefer Trump to Ted Cruz, but his age (92) could keep him from attending.
In a long-awaiting new rule, the Food and Drug Administration will ban sale of all tobacco products—including e-cigarettes—to those under 18. The rule takes effect in 90 days. It's part of a larger package of regulations that "gives FDA authority to regulate—but not to ban—all tobacco products, from e-cigarettes to cigars and hookahs." Meanwhile, California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed a bill on Wednesday that would bump the legal age to buy all tobacco products from 18 to 21.
Sen. Ben Sasse, the most prominent elected official to declare that he's #NeverTrump, wrote an open letter on Facebook to the "majority of Americans who wonder why the nation that put a man on the moon can’t find a healthy leader who can take us forward together." Calling to mind recent conversations at a Fremont, Neb., Walmart, the senator pitted the presumptive general election battle between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as such a "terrible choice" that there would be an appetite for another candidate to emerge. In a parenthetical aside to reporters, Sasse ruled himself out. "Such a leader should be able to campaign 24/7 for the next six months," he wrote. "Therefore he/she likely can’t be an engaged parent with little kids." Meanwhile, his colleague Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) admitted in a private recording obtained by Politico that Trump hurts his reelection chances.
"Judge Emmet G. Sullivan, of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, approved a joint proposal presented by Judicial Watch and the State Department to take the depositions of officials" involved in the setup and use of Hillary Clinton's private email server, "including Cheryl D. Mills, Clinton's former chief of staff, Huma Abedin, a senior adviser to Clinton, and Bryan Pagliano, a State Department employee who serviced and maintained the server." He said Clinton could be deposed later on, though that may not be necessary.