Government efforts to eliminate the commercial use of a radioactive material deemed a security risk have run into opposition from the medical sector.
The Obama administration announced earlier this year that it would work to phase out commercial applications of a number of radioactive substances that could be used to build a so-called “dirty bomb.” Such a weapon would use conventional explosives to disperse poisonous radioactive material over a wide area.
Among the common commercial substances targeted for elimination is cesium chloride. The government is trying to convince hospitals and blood banks in the country to cease using irradiator machines that contain cesium chloride and instead use X-ray irradiators to make sure blood is safe for transfusion. The government is weighing using grants and other inducements to encourage the move away from cesium chloride irradiators, unidentified officials and specialists told the Boston Globe for a Monday article.
In addition to being extremely radioactive, cesium chloride is also dissolvable in water. These characteristics make the material “a greater concern than other radiation sources,” according to a 2008 finding by the National Research Council.
However, some medical professionals and companies are resisting the urged change on the grounds that the newer X-ray irradiators are too expensive and more prone too breaking down.
“X-ray irradiators break with regular abandon, so of course you have to buy two,” said Jed Gorlin, vice president of medical and quality affairs at Innovative Blood Resources in St. Paul, Minn.
Miles Pomper, a senior research associate at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies, said that financial motives are a significant contributing factor to the resistance.
“There are going to be winners and losers,” Pomper said. “The people who only make cesium chloride aren’t going to like it.”
What We're Following See More »
Despite trailing Hillary Clinton by a significant margin, Bernie Sanders wasn't going the way of Ted Cruz tonight. The Vermont senator upset Clinton in Indiana, with MSNBC calling the race at 9pm. Sanders appears poised to win by a five- or six-point spread.
And just like that, it's over. Ted Cruz will suspend his presidential campaign after losing badly to Donald Trump in Indiana tonight. "While Cruz had always hedged when asked whether he would quit if he lost Indiana; his campaign had laid a huge bet on the state." John Kasich's campaign has pledged to carry on. “From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” said Cruz. “Tonight, I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed."
The Republican establishment's last remaining hope—a contested convention this summer—may have just ended in Indiana, as Donald Trump won a decisive victory over Ted Cruz. Nothing Cruz seemed to have in his corner seemed to help—not a presumptive VP pick in Carly Fiorina, not a midwestern state where he's done well in the past, and not the state's legions of conservatives. Though Trump "won't secure the 1,237 delegates he needs to formally claim the nomination until June, his Indiana triumph makes it almost impossible to stop him. Following his decisive wins in New York and other East Coast states, the Indiana victory could put Trump within 200 delegates of the magic number he needs to clinch the nomination." Cruz, meanwhile, "now faces the agonizing choice of whether to remain in the race, with his attempt to force the party into a contested convention in tatters, or to bow out and cede the party nomination to his political nemesis." The Associated Press, which called the race at 7pm, predicts Trump will win at least 45 delegates.