The U.S. Energy Department on Monday disclosed plans to secure hundreds of pounds of vulnerable uranium and plutonium around the world by October 2015.
In its 2014-2018 Strategic Plan, the department listed as a “priority goal” for the fiscal 2014-2015 period the removal or confirmed disposal of roughly 700 pounds of highly enriched uranium and plutonium. The document did not specify source countries for the nuclear weapon-sensitive materials, or in what quantities.
If the department’s semiautonomous National Nuclear Security Administration is able to successfully secure the plutonium and uranium, it would bring the total amount of weapons-sensitive material secured by the United States to 11,755 pounds.
The plan was released on the heels of a Nuclear Security Summit last month in the Netherlands. There the United States joined 22 other nations in pledging to comply with international guidelines for securing materials that could be used in a so-called “dirty bomb” — one capable of spreading radiation by detonating conventional explosives paired with sensitive atomic materials.
The Energy Department also outlined additional nuclear-security goals in its 32-page plan. These include:
— Finishing the disposal of 154 metric tons of unneeded domestic highly enriched uranium by the end of fiscal 2018.
— Fielding fixed radiation-detection equipment at roughly 622 global sites and providing 148 mobile radiation-monitoring systems and technology training to 44 nations before fiscal 2019.
— Safeguarding a projected 2,327 facilities containing especially sensitive atomic and radiological substances by fiscal 2018.
— Cooperating with 38 nations by the end of fiscal 2018 to enhance their respective export-control regulations to limit the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction-sensitive materials and technologies.
The department said efforts to reduce global nuclear-security threats were one of its 12 “strategic objectives.” Other objectives include ensuring a safe and reliable nuclear deterrent absent a return to testing, and the modernization of the country’s atomic national security infrastructure.
The Strategic Plan made no mention of the future of the mixed-oxide fuel fabrication facility, currently under construction in South Carolina. Energy officials earlier this year said they want to halt work on the project. They have yet to determine an alternative for the program, which is intended to dispose of surplus weapons-grade plutonium as mandated under a nonproliferation pact with Russia.
What We're Following See More »
Foreign Policy takes a look at the future of mining the estimated "100,000 near-Earth objects—including asteroids and comets—in the neighborhood of our planet. Some of these NEOs, as they’re called, are small. Others are substantial and potentially packed full of water and various important minerals, such as nickel, cobalt, and iron. One day, advocates believe, those objects will be tapped by variations on the equipment used in the coal mines of Kentucky or in the diamond mines of Africa. And for immense gain: According to industry experts, the contents of a single asteroid could be worth trillions of dollars." But the technology to get us there is only the first step. Experts say "a multinational body might emerge" to manage rights to NEOs, as well as a body of law, including an international court.
Not to be outdone by Jeffrey Goldberg's recent piece in The Atlantic about President Obama's foreign policy, the New York Times Magazine checks in with a longread on the president's economic legacy. In it, Obama is cognizant that the economic reality--73 straight months of growth--isn't matched by public perceptions. Some of that, he says, is due to a constant drumbeat from the right that "that denies any progress." But he also accepts some blame himself. “I mean, the truth of the matter is that if we had been able to more effectively communicate all the steps we had taken to the swing voter,” he said, “then we might have maintained a majority in the House or the Senate.”
Ronald Reagan's children and political allies took to the media and Twitter this week to chide funnyman Will Ferrell for his plans to play a dementia-addled Reagan in his second term in a new comedy entitled Reagan. In an open letter, Reagan's daughter Patti Davis tells Ferrell, who's also a producer on the movie, “Perhaps for your comedy you would like to visit some dementia facilities. I have—I didn’t find anything comedic there, and my hope would be that if you’re a decent human being, you wouldn’t either.” Michael Reagan, the president's son, tweeted, "What an Outrag....Alzheimers is not joke...It kills..You should be ashamed all of you." And former Rep. Joe Walsh called it an example of "Hollywood taking a shot at conservatives again."
In a sign that she’s ready to put a longer-than-expected primary battle behind her, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D) is no longer going on the air in upcoming primary states. “Team Clinton hasn’t spent a single cent in … California, Indiana, Kentucky, Oregon and West Virginia, while” Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-VT) “campaign has spent a little more than $1 million in those same states.” Meanwhile, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sanders’ "lone backer in the Senate, said the candidate should end his presidential campaign if he’s losing to Hillary Clinton after the primary season concludes in June, breaking sharply with the candidate who is vowing to take his insurgent bid to the party convention in Philadelphia.”
The team behind the bestselling "Clinton Cash"—author Peter Schweizer and Breitbart's Stephen Bannon—is turning the book into a movie that will have its U.S. premiere just before the Democratic National Convention this summer. The film will get its global debut "next month in Cannes, France, during the Cannes Film Festival. (The movie is not a part of the festival, but will be shown at a screening arranged for distributors)." Bloomberg has a trailer up, pointing out that it's "less Ken Burns than Jerry Bruckheimer, featuring blood-drenched money, radical madrassas, and ominous footage of the Clintons."