U.S. Lawmakers Explore Faster Missile-Interceptor Fielding in Europe

A U.S. Standard Missile 3 Block 1B missile interceptor is launched from the USS Lake Erie during a successful October intercept trial. Lawmakers are examining the potential of speeding up deployment of the antimissile technology in Europe, amid concerns about any further Russian aggression on the continent.
National Journal
Rachel Oswald
April 3, 2014, 10:39 a.m.

Some U.S. law­makers are ex­plor­ing the po­ten­tial for speed­ing up mis­sile-in­ter­cept­or de­ploy­ments in Europe amid con­cerns over re­cent Rus­si­an ag­gres­sion.

The United States is cur­rently plan­ning on field­ing mod­ern­ized Stand­ard Mis­sile 3 Block 1B in­ter­cept­ors on war­ships home-por­ted in Spain and at a base in Ro­mania be­gin­ning in 2015. A more-cap­able mis­sile, the Block 2A in­ter­cept­or, is slated for de­ploy­ment in Po­land start­ing in 2018. But that time sched­ule might not be fast enough for some mem­bers of Con­gress, who are eager to send a de­terrence mes­sage to Rus­si­an Pres­id­ent Vladi­mir Putin, fol­low­ing his an­nex­a­tion last month of Ukraine’s Crimean Pen­in­sula.

Re­fer­ring to those de­ploy­ment plans, Sen­at­or Joe Don­nelly (D-Ind.) at a Wed­nes­day Sen­ate Armed Ser­vices sub­com­mit­tee hear­ing ob­served that while the mis­sile in­ter­cept­ors were in­ten­ded to pro­tect NATO ter­rit­ory against a mis­sile strike from the Middle East, they were “of sig­ni­fic­ant con­cern to Mr. Putin as well.”

The Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion has re­peatedly em­phas­ized that the an­ti­mis­sile sys­tems planned for European in­stall­a­tions do not have the tech­nic­al ca­pa­city to chal­lenge Rus­si­an stra­tegic bal­list­ic mis­siles. Rather, the U.S. in­ter­cept­ors are de­signed to tar­get short-, me­di­um- and in­ter­me­di­ate-range bal­list­ic mis­siles, Wash­ing­ton says.

Mo­scow is for­bid­den un­der a 1987 nuc­le­ar arms con­trol treaty with the United States from pos­sess­ing any mis­siles with ranges between 300 and 3,400 miles. However, ser­i­ous con­cerns have been raised in re­cent weeks in the United States about Rus­sia’s com­pli­ance with the ac­cord.

At a House Armed Ser­vices Com­mit­tee sub­com­mit­tee hear­ing last week, U.S. Rep­res­ent­at­ive Mike Ro­gers (R-Ala.) asked the head of the Pentagon’s Mis­sile De­fense Agency wheth­er, “as a con­sequence of the Ukrain­i­an activ­ity by Rus­sia,” de­ploy­ment of mis­sile in­ter­cept­ors in Po­land could be hastened if more fund­ing were provided.

“We’ve ana­lyzed that,” agency Dir­ect­or Vice Adm. James Syr­ing re­spon­ded. “It can be done quick­er if money were avail­able, but the budget re­quest sup­ports a 2018 field­ing at this point.”

Don­nelly pressed the is­sue fur­ther in ques­tion­ing M. Elaine Bunn, the deputy as­sist­ant sec­ret­ary of De­fense for nuc­le­ar and mis­sile de­fense policy, on Wed­nes­day about pos­sible new talks with Ro­mania and Po­land.

“Have we talked to them about mov­ing up those timelines?” the In­di­ana Demo­crat asked. “Mr. Putin ap­par­ently has no in­terest in timelines. And so, you know, he’s not go­ing to wait for 2018. … Are we tak­ing a look at our timelines and oth­er things in re­gards to that?”

Bunn said there have been “no dis­cus­sions at this point” with NATO part­ners on the mat­ter.

Testi­fy­ing along­side Bunn on Wed­nes­day, Syr­ing said that speed­ing up the timetable for stand­ing up the Pol­ish mis­sile site — the fa­cil­ity that draws most Rus­si­an con­cern — would de­pend on the de­vel­op­ment pro­gress of its next-gen­er­a­tion Block 2A in­ter­cept­or. Ac­cel­er­at­ing the pace of work on the Ro­mania site, however, would largely be a mat­ter of fund­ing, he sug­ges­ted.

“All of that [mil­it­ary con­struc­tion] fund­ing is mostly in the [fisc­al 2016] time frame,” Syr­ing said. “So to go faster, it would re­quire money in ‘15 in terms of the tech­nic­al feas­ib­il­ity of ac­cel­er­at­ing.”

What We're Following See More »
ASSANGE WANTS TO CRIPPLE CLINTON’S CHANCES
Spy Agencies Hone in on Russia as Culprit of DNC Hack
1 minutes ago
THE LATEST

"American intelligence agencies have told the White House they now have 'high confidence' that the Russian government was behind the theft of emails and documents from the Democratic National Committee, according to federal officials who have been briefed on the evidence. But intelligence agencies have cautioned that they are uncertain whether the electronic break-in at the committee's computer systems was intended as fairly routine cyberespionage—of the kind the United States also conducts around the world—or as part of an effort to manipulate the 2016 presidential election." WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange "has made it clear that he hoped to harm Hillary Clinton's chances of winning the presidency."

Source:
FOUNDER PRAISED TRUMP AT CONVENTION
Colony Capital Pulled Out of Trump Hotel
12 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

Colony Capital Founder Tom Barrack spoke on Donald Trump's behalf at the Democratic National Convention last week. But as the Washington Post learned, his company pulled out of Trump's Old Post Office project. The two companies issued a joint statement when the project was announced. But as a Colony spokeswoman told the Post, “Colony exited the joint venture after the project’s timeline became too long for the firm. As the project evolved, cheaper sources of capital for longer term investment became available to Trump." The Trump Organization is now financing the project through their own cash and a loan from Deutsche Bank. It's scheduled to open Sept. 12.

Source:
MAN WHO SHOT RONALD REAGAN
John Hinckley Jr. Granted Release
21 minutes ago
WHY WE CARE

Thirty-five years after he tried to kill President Reagan, John Hinckley Jr. has been freed. "A federal judge in Washington, D.C., has granted a request for Hinckley to leave the mental hospital where he's lived for decades, to go live full-time with his elderly mother in Williamsburg, VA. The release could happen as early as next week, the judge ruled. Under the terms of his order, Hinckley is not allowed to contact his victims, their relatives or actress Jodie Foster, with whom he was obsessed. Hinckley also will not be permitted to 'knowingly travel' to areas where the current president or members or Congress are present. The judge said Hinckley could be allowed to live on his own or in a group home after one year.

Source:
SHARES THEIR LOVE STORY
Bill Clinton Gets Personal in Convention Speech
10 hours ago
THE DETAILS

“In the spring of 1971, I met a girl,” started Bill Clinton. In his speech Tuesday night at the Democratic National Convention, Clinton brought a personal touch, telling parallel stories of his relationship with Hillary Clinton and the work she has done throughout her career. He lauded the Democratic nominee for her career of work, touching on her earliest days of advocacy for children and those with disabilities while in law school, her role as Secretary of State, and her work in raising their daughter, Chelsea. Providing a number of anecdotes throughout the speech, Clinton built to a crescendo, imploring the audience to support his wife for president. "You should elect her, she'll never quit when the going gets tough," he said. "Your children and grandchildren will be grateful."

LOUD “BLACK LIVES MATTER” CHANTS RING OUT
Mothers Of The Movement Endorse Hillary Clinton
13 hours ago
THE DETAILS

A coalition of mothers whose children lost their lives in high profile cases across the country, known as the Mothers Of The Movement, were greeted with deafening chants of "Black Lives Matter" before telling their stories. The mothers of Sandra Bland, Jordan Davis, and Trayvon Martin spoke for the group, soliciting both tears and applause from the crowd. "Hillary Clinton has the compassion and understanding to comfort a grieving mother," said Sybrina Fulton, the mother of Trayvon Martin. "And that's why, in the memory of our children, we are imploring you — all of you — to vote this election day."

×