A trio of House lawmakers is urging against providing any funds in the next fiscal year for the decommissioning of U.S. intercontinental ballistic missile silos.
U.S. Representatives Steve Daines (R-Mont.), Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.) and Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.) on Wednesday wrote to the senior Republican and Democratic members of the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee urging them to include new language in upcoming fiscal 2015 spending legislation. The proposed provision would bar the Pentagon from using any budgeted funds to “reduce, convert, decommission, or otherwise move to nondeployed status” any active ICBM silos.
The Republican lawmakers hail from the three states that host the nation’s arsenal of roughly 450 Minuteman 3 missiles.
The New START accord with Russia requires the United States by 2018 to reduce to 700 the total number of strategic missiles and bomber aircraft that are actively deployed, with an additional 100 systems permitted in reserve. However, the matter of beginning the work required to mothball some of the Minuteman silos is a political hot potato in Congress.
A bipartisan coalition of lawmakers worked together last year to insert language in the omnibus fiscal 2014 spending law that forbids the Pentagon from using any appropriated funds to carry out environmental studies on silo decommissioning. The Air Force last month put on hold a nascent effort to conduct a preliminary environmental assessment on silo shut-downs, after a number of lawmakers accused the Pentagon of violating the spending law.
Daines, Lummis and Cramer in their Wednesday letter urged against providing any funding to the Pentagon that “may be used to prepare for or conduct an environmental impact study, environmental assessment, or other environmental study.”
What We're Following See More »
Despite trailing Hillary Clinton by a significant margin, Bernie Sanders wasn't going the way of Ted Cruz tonight. The Vermont senator upset Clinton in Indiana, with MSNBC calling the race at 9pm. Sanders appears poised to win by a five- or six-point spread.
And just like that, it's over. Ted Cruz will suspend his presidential campaign after losing badly to Donald Trump in Indiana tonight. "While Cruz had always hedged when asked whether he would quit if he lost Indiana; his campaign had laid a huge bet on the state." John Kasich's campaign has pledged to carry on. “From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” said Cruz. “Tonight, I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed."
The Republican establishment's last remaining hope—a contested convention this summer—may have just ended in Indiana, as Donald Trump won a decisive victory over Ted Cruz. Nothing Cruz seemed to have in his corner seemed to help—not a presumptive VP pick in Carly Fiorina, not a midwestern state where he's done well in the past, and not the state's legions of conservatives. Though Trump "won't secure the 1,237 delegates he needs to formally claim the nomination until June, his Indiana triumph makes it almost impossible to stop him. Following his decisive wins in New York and other East Coast states, the Indiana victory could put Trump within 200 delegates of the magic number he needs to clinch the nomination." Cruz, meanwhile, "now faces the agonizing choice of whether to remain in the race, with his attempt to force the party into a contested convention in tatters, or to bow out and cede the party nomination to his political nemesis." The Associated Press, which called the race at 7pm, predicts Trump will win at least 45 delegates.