Controversial decisions in two separate cases this week reignited the sexual-assault battle on Capitol Hill.
In the first closely watched case, a military judge on Thursday reprimanded Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair and ordered him to give up $20,000 in pay after admitting to adultery — with a women he supervised — as well as inappropriate relationships with two other women. Sinclair will serve no prison time, and the final result is a far cry from sexual-assault charges that were dropped and could have resulted in a life sentence.
A military judge also found Joshua Tate, a former Naval Academy football player, not guilty of sexual assault on Thursday. Tate has agreed to resign from the academy, but many were not satisfied with his punishment.
The Pentagon has been under a barrage of criticism from outside groups, members of Congress, and at times even itself over its handling of military sexual-assault cases.
But Rear Adm. John Kirby, the Pentagon’s press secretary, said the back-to-back rulings hadn’t changed Secretary Chuck Hagel’s belief that the chain of command should be included in deciding whether a case is prosecuted.
“There are plenty of other cases that go all the way to trial and get convictions,” Kirby said. “And look, prosecutions and convictions, while important in terms of holding people accountable, that’s not the ultimate goal here. The ultimate goal here is zero sexual assaults in the military.”
Pentagon officials have widely criticized a bill by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand to remove commanders from that process. The New York Democrat failed to overcome a procedural vote 55-45, but she has vowed to try again during the months-long process of hammering out the annual defense bill.
And Gillibrand said the Sinclair decision underlines why her legislation is needed.
“It’s not only the right thing to do for our men and women in uniform, but would also mitigate issues of undue command influence that we have seen in many trials over the last year,” she said.
Nancy Parrish, the president of Protect Our Defenders, backed the senator’s efforts, calling the Sinclair case “a clear example of why nine out of 10 sexual-assault victims never report their attacks.”¦ This case demonstrates how high-ranking bad, abusive, and even unlawful behavior is tolerated. The level of tolerance is too often dictated by the number of stars you have on your shoulders.”
But Sarah Feldman, spokeswoman for Sen. Claire McCaskill — whose sexual-assault legislation passed the Senate earlier this month — said that while the Sinclair case is “obviously a complicated one,” it also proves that “commanders are often more aggressive than prosecutors in pursuing prosecutions and vetting these cases.”
The senator’s office has argued that if the case had been handled by prosecutors alone, the rape charge would not have been brought forward.
And although Rep. Mike Turner, the cochair of the Military Sexual Assault Prevention Caucus, doesn’t back Gillibrand’s legislation, the Ohio Republican said he is “deeply disappointed” and that the Sinclair case is an example of why an increase is needed for mandatory minimum sentences in sexual-assault and sexual-misconduct cases.
What We're Following See More »
Foreign Policy takes a look at the future of mining the estimated "100,000 near-Earth objects—including asteroids and comets—in the neighborhood of our planet. Some of these NEOs, as they’re called, are small. Others are substantial and potentially packed full of water and various important minerals, such as nickel, cobalt, and iron. One day, advocates believe, those objects will be tapped by variations on the equipment used in the coal mines of Kentucky or in the diamond mines of Africa. And for immense gain: According to industry experts, the contents of a single asteroid could be worth trillions of dollars." But the technology to get us there is only the first step. Experts say "a multinational body might emerge" to manage rights to NEOs, as well as a body of law, including an international court.
Not to be outdone by Jeffrey Goldberg's recent piece in The Atlantic about President Obama's foreign policy, the New York Times Magazine checks in with a longread on the president's economic legacy. In it, Obama is cognizant that the economic reality--73 straight months of growth--isn't matched by public perceptions. Some of that, he says, is due to a constant drumbeat from the right that "that denies any progress." But he also accepts some blame himself. “I mean, the truth of the matter is that if we had been able to more effectively communicate all the steps we had taken to the swing voter,” he said, “then we might have maintained a majority in the House or the Senate.”
Ronald Reagan's children and political allies took to the media and Twitter this week to chide funnyman Will Ferrell for his plans to play a dementia-addled Reagan in his second term in a new comedy entitled Reagan. In an open letter, Reagan's daughter Patti Davis tells Ferrell, who's also a producer on the movie, “Perhaps for your comedy you would like to visit some dementia facilities. I have—I didn’t find anything comedic there, and my hope would be that if you’re a decent human being, you wouldn’t either.” Michael Reagan, the president's son, tweeted, "What an Outrag....Alzheimers is not joke...It kills..You should be ashamed all of you." And former Rep. Joe Walsh called it an example of "Hollywood taking a shot at conservatives again."
In a sign that she’s ready to put a longer-than-expected primary battle behind her, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D) is no longer going on the air in upcoming primary states. “Team Clinton hasn’t spent a single cent in … California, Indiana, Kentucky, Oregon and West Virginia, while” Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-VT) “campaign has spent a little more than $1 million in those same states.” Meanwhile, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Sanders’ "lone backer in the Senate, said the candidate should end his presidential campaign if he’s losing to Hillary Clinton after the primary season concludes in June, breaking sharply with the candidate who is vowing to take his insurgent bid to the party convention in Philadelphia.”
The team behind the bestselling "Clinton Cash"—author Peter Schweizer and Breitbart's Stephen Bannon—is turning the book into a movie that will have its U.S. premiere just before the Democratic National Convention this summer. The film will get its global debut "next month in Cannes, France, during the Cannes Film Festival. (The movie is not a part of the festival, but will be shown at a screening arranged for distributors)." Bloomberg has a trailer up, pointing out that it's "less Ken Burns than Jerry Bruckheimer, featuring blood-drenched money, radical madrassas, and ominous footage of the Clintons."