Afghanistan’s al-Qaida leader is moving to shore up his support and retrain militants, as the United States and President Hamid Karzai’s government remain at an impasse over a post-2014 security agreement.
Defense and intelligence officials told the Associated Press that a counterterrorism campaign, including drone and missile strikes, is underway to keep Farouq al-Qahtani al-Qatari from restarting the large militant training camps that he oversaw before the war began.
Al-Qatari is in the Kunar and Nuristan provinces, near the Pakistani border, where officials would like to keep him. They added that without the continued ability to fly drones and jets from at least one air base — which could be blocked if a bilateral security agreement between the U.S. and Afghanistan isn’t reached — the al-Qaida leader and his followers could plan attacks against the United States.
President Obama on Tuesday asked for the Pentagon to create a contingency plan for withdrawing all U.S. troops by the end of the year, referred to as the “zero option.” If all U.S. troops leave the country, NATO will also pull its forces.
Obama’s request followed a public campaign by U.S. and NATO officials to get the Afghan president to sign the security agreement. Karzai pushed the signing of the pact until after the country’s elections this spring.
Military and administration officials, members of Congress, and outside experts have repeatedly warned that if the United States pulls out all of its troops, the Taliban and al-Qaida would likely see a resurgence in the country.
That line of thought was echoed by Gen. Raymond Odierno, the Army chief of staff, earlier this month. He said that Afghanistan’s institutions, including security forces, have made “quite a bit” of progress, but aren’t strong enough to maintain those advances over the long term.
The Defense Department has recommended leaving 10,000 troops in the country through 2017.
What We're Following See More »
In a stark contrast from Michelle Obama's uplifting speech, Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren spoke about the rigged system plaguing Americans before launching into a full-throated rebuke of GOP nominee Donald Trump. Trump is "a man who has never sacrificed anything for anyone," she claimed, before saying he "must never be president of the United States." She called him divisive and selfish, and said the American people won't accept his "hate-filled America." In addition to Trump, Warren went after the Republican Party as a whole. "To Republicans in Congress who said no, this November the American people are coming for you," she said.
"In this election, and every election, it's about who will have the power to shape our children for the next four or eight years of their lives," Michelle Obama said. "There is only one person who I trust with that responsibility … and that is our friend Hillary Clinton." In a personal and emotional speech, Michelle Obama spoke about the effect that angry oppositional rhetoric had on her children and how she chose to raise them. "When they go low, we go high," Obama said she told her children about dealing with bullies. Obama stayed mostly positive, but still offered a firm rebuke of Donald Trump, despite never once uttering his name. "The issues a president faces cannot be boiled down to 140 characters," she said.
Many Bernie Sanders delegates have spent much of the first day of the Democratic National Convention resisting unity, booing at mentions of Hillary Clinton and often chanting "Bernie! Bernie!" Well, one of the most outspoken Bernie Sanders supporters just told them to take a seat. "To the Bernie-or-bust people: You're being ridiculous," said comedian Sarah Silverman in a brief appearance at the Convention, minutes after saying that she would proudly support Hillary Clinton for president.
The Democratic National Committee issued a formal apology to Bernie Sanders today, after leaked emails showed staffers trying to sabotage his presidential bid. "On behalf of everyone at the DNC, we want to offer a deep and sincere apology to Senator Sanders, his supporters, and the entire Democratic Party for the inexcusable remarks made over email," DNC officials said in the statement. "These comments do not reflect the values of the DNC or our steadfast commitment to neutrality during the nominating process. The DNC does not—and will not—tolerate disrespectful language exhibited toward our candidates."
The chairman of the DCCC said Debbie Wasserman Schultz won't be getting financial help from the organization this year, even as she faces a well-funded primary challenger. "Rep. Ben Ray Luján (D-NM) said the committee’s resources will be spent helping Democrats in tough races rather than those in seats that are strongholds for the party." Executive Director Kelly Ward added, “We never spend money in safe seats."