The U.S. military condemned the Afghan government for overriding its objections and moving forward with plans to free 65 detainees it believes are dangerous and pose a serious threat to the lives of coalition and local Afghan troops.
Detainees from this group of 65, currently being held at an Afghan detention facility in Parwan, are expected to be released Thursday, the U.S. military in Afghanistan said in a statement.
Some of these detainees, the military said, are directly linked to attacks that have killed or wounded U.S. or coalition personnel, Afghan security personnel, or local civilians, and are considered quite dangerous. One is a suspected Taliban explosives expert; another is a commander from the Haqqani network who is accused of planning attacks. “It remains the position of [the U.S. military] that violent criminals who harm Afghans and threaten the peace and security of Afghanistan should face justice in the Afghan courts, where a fair and transparent trial would determine their guilt or innocence,” the military’s statement said.
The U.S. military says it provided, on several occasions, extensive information and evidence on each detainee to Afghanistan’s review board — which has previously said there was not enough evidence against a total group of 88 detainees to continue holding them. In a separate statement Tuesday, the U.S. military said the impending release would violate agreements between the two countries — and that the evidence against these detainees “was never seriously considered, including by the Attorney General.” Freeing these detainees, the military said, “is a major step backward for the rule of law in Afghanistan.”
The defiance of Washington on this issue is yet another sign of tensions between the two countries, since Afghan President Hamid Karzai backed away from signing a security pact with the U.S. late last year that would clear the way to leave a contingent of U.S. troops in the country past the 2014 deadline for the conclusion of combat operations.
National Intelligence Director James Clapper told the Senate on Tuesday he does not believe Karzai is not going to sign that pact. Instead, it appears the U.S. is going to wait for his successor to be elected in the spring. The comments came as news broke that the U.S. military is revising its plans to withdraw troops from Afghanistan until after Karzai leaves office — a reflection of a need to be pragmatic as hopes wane to finalize an agreement.
- 1 How Ron Wyden Banned Internet Taxes Forever
- 2 Obama’s Second-Term Agenda Hits a Roadblock: the Supreme Court
- 3 John Kasich Dismisses Climate Change As ‘Some Theory That’s Not Proven’
- 4 Obamacare Will Reduce Income Inequality, but Quietly
- 5 I Did Improv With the ‘Jeopardy Villain,’ and He’s Exactly as He Appears on Television
What We're Following See More »
Under pressure from a judge, the State Department will release about 550 of Hillary Clinton’s emails—“roughly 14 percent of the 3,700 remaining Clinton emails—on Saturday, in the middle of the Presidents Day holiday weekend.” All of the emails were supposed to have been released last month. Related: State subpoenaed the Clinton Foundation last year, which brings the total number of current Clinton investigations to four, says the Daily Caller.
UPDATED: Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA) will not be playing the role of Ralph Nader in this year’s election. Speaking in Dallas today, Webb said, “We looked at the possibility of an independent candidacy. Theoretically, it could be done, but it is enormously costly and time sensitive, and I don’t see the fundraising trajectory where we could make a realistic run.”
“The leaders of the Republican and Democratic national committees on Wednesday weighed in on the prospect of an independent presidential run by” former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I). “DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz suggested that the former New York City mayor’s priorities are already ‘well cared-for’ in the Democratic platform, while RNC leader Reince Priebus welcomed the idea, saying Bloomberg would siphon off votes from the Democratic candidate.”
Three hundred fifty-two, thanks to superdelegates pledged to Clinton, and the vagaries of the delegate allocation process in early states. Not bad, considering her results have been a virtual tie and a blowout loss.