Seoul and Pyongyang on Wednesday held senior-level talks that dealt with a range of issues, including planned U.S.-South Korea military drills.
A South Korean Unification Ministry official said delegates from the two nations exchanged views in a “sincere” way on a range of matters. He suggested that Pyongyang renewed its opposition to the annual Key Resolve/Foal Eagle drills with the United States, which are to begin later this month.
Seoul and Washington have said they are committed to moving forward with the drills. The involvement of U.S. nuclear-capable bombers in last year’s exercises infuriated Pyongyang, which responded with preparations to carry out ballistic-missile strikes on the two allies.
North Korea a few days ago sought the Wednesday meeting unexpectedly, following a number of signals to Seoul about its interest in improving relations. Interactions have remained fairly tense since 2010, when two Pyongyang attacks on South Korea killed dozens of people.
“We approach today’s talks with an intention of probing for opportunities to open a new relationship on the Korean Peninsula, said Kim Kyu-hyun, a deputy national security adviser to the South Korean president, in remarks to reporters before he traveled to Panmunjom to head up the South Korean delegation, the New York Times reported.
China on Tuesday applauded the two Koreas for their engagement and urged follow-on action, Yonhap separately reported.
A delegation of Chinese officials traveled to North Korea last week — the first Chinese diplomats to do so following the surprise December purge of North Korean ruler Kim Jong Un’s powerful uncle, Yonhap reported. The execution of Jang Song Thaek precipitated regional concerns about the stability of the Kim regime, which were it to abruptly collapse could lead to reduced security around the country’s nuclear sites.
An unidentified diplomatic source in Beijing said he believed the Chinese delegation included officials involved in the long-frozen multinational talks aimed at North Korean denuclearization.
The North Korean nuclear impasse will be one of the issues that U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry discusses with this South Korean opposite when he visits Seoul on Thursday, according to Yonhap.
What We're Following See More »
"Like Donald Trump himself, the Trump campaign’s new national finance chairman has a long history of contributing to Democrats—including Hillary Clinton. Private investor Steven Mnuchin, Trump’s new campaign fundraising guru, has contributed more than $120,000" to candidates since 1995, about half of which has gone to Democrats.
Paul Ryan told CNN today he's "not ready" to back Donald Trump at this time. "I'm not there right now," he said. Ryan said Trump needs to unify "all wings of the Republican Party and the conservative movement" and then run a campaign that will allow Americans to "have something that they're proud to support and proud to be a part of. And we've got a ways to go from here to there."
The Daily Beast has unearthed a piece that Donald Trump wrote for Gear magazine in 2000, which anticipates his 2016 sales pitch quite well. "Perhaps it's time for a dealmaker who can get the leaders of Congress to the table, forge consensus, and strike compromise," he writes. Oddly, he opens by defending his reputation as a womanizer: "The hypocrites argue that a man who loves and appreciates beautiful women (and does so legally and openly) shouldn't become a national leader? Is there something wrong with appreciating beautiful women? Don't we want people in public office who show signs of life?"
An aide to Mitt Romney confirmed to the Washington Post that the 2102 GOP nominee will not attend the Republican convention this year. He joins the two living Republican presidents, George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, as well as 2008 nominee John McCain in skipping the event. Even among living Republican nominees, that leaves only Bob Dole who could conceivably show up. Dole did say in January that he'd prefer Trump to Ted Cruz, but his age (92) could keep him from attending.