A key U.K. judicial body has ruled that Britain must reconsider holding a public inquiry into the polonium poisoning death of Russian dissident Alexander Litvinenko.
A Tuesday ruling by the High Court of Justice in London requires British Home Secretary Theresa May to re-examine her justification for preventing an open investigation of the 2006 incident, Reuters reports. The former KGB officer died after drinking tea tainted with radioactive polonium 210.
May last year blocked a request for such a public probe from Robert Owen, a coroner who led a closed-door look at circumstances surrounding the death.
“If she is to maintain her refusal [to hold an open inquiry], she will need better reasons than those given in the decision letter,” Lord Justice Stephen Richards said in a statement for a three-judge panel. The group unanimously backed the finding, though it issued no direct demand for a public probe.
“The case for setting up an immediate statutory inquiry as requested by the coroner is plainly a strong one,” the three judges added.
An open investigation could implicate Russia in the death, creating potential for political and economic fallout from any findings, according to Reuters. Moscow maintains it was not involved.
Last year, May said political considerations had played a role in her decision not to go forward with an open investigation. She added, though, that those factors were not decisive.
The High Court of Justice said there are “strong reasons of public interest” for the United Kingdom to examine allegations of Russian collusion in the death.
The British Home Office indicated it is reviewing the court’s finding.
Marina Litvinenko, the KGB veteran’s widow who initiated the push for an open probe, said she was happy to learn about Tuesday’s decision.
“This was the murder of a British citizen on the streets of London using radioactive poison. You would have thought that the government would want to get to the bottom of who was behind it,” she said.
What We're Following See More »
Despite trailing Hillary Clinton by a significant margin, Bernie Sanders wasn't going the way of Ted Cruz tonight. The Vermont senator upset Clinton in Indiana, with MSNBC calling the race at 9pm. Sanders appears poised to win by a five- or six-point spread.
And just like that, it's over. Ted Cruz will suspend his presidential campaign after losing badly to Donald Trump in Indiana tonight. "While Cruz had always hedged when asked whether he would quit if he lost Indiana; his campaign had laid a huge bet on the state." John Kasich's campaign has pledged to carry on. “From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” said Cruz. “Tonight, I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed."
The Republican establishment's last remaining hope—a contested convention this summer—may have just ended in Indiana, as Donald Trump won a decisive victory over Ted Cruz. Nothing Cruz seemed to have in his corner seemed to help—not a presumptive VP pick in Carly Fiorina, not a midwestern state where he's done well in the past, and not the state's legions of conservatives. Though Trump "won't secure the 1,237 delegates he needs to formally claim the nomination until June, his Indiana triumph makes it almost impossible to stop him. Following his decisive wins in New York and other East Coast states, the Indiana victory could put Trump within 200 delegates of the magic number he needs to clinch the nomination." Cruz, meanwhile, "now faces the agonizing choice of whether to remain in the race, with his attempt to force the party into a contested convention in tatters, or to bow out and cede the party nomination to his political nemesis." The Associated Press, which called the race at 7pm, predicts Trump will win at least 45 delegates.