A former Hollywood actress has admitted in federal court to mailing ricin-tainted letters to President Obama and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Shannon Richardson of Texas pleaded guilty to a federal charge of making and possessing a biological toxin, the Associated Press reports.
The 35-year-old mother of six — who has had bit-part television roles on “The Walking Dead” and “The Blind Side” — agreed to a deal that her lawyer said would limit her prison time to 18 years. Richardson’s formal sentencing date has not yet been scheduled, according to the Tuesday AP report.
She gave birth to her youngest child prematurely while in custody earlier this year.
In June, Richardson was arrested after initially attempting to blame her separated husband, Nathan Richardson, for the ricin mailings. She is accused of sending the letters from New Boston, a town outside the Texarkana location in which she ultimately was brought to court.
The signed plea agreement describes how Richardson waited until her husband left for work on May 20 to mail the letters, which also included a ricin-laced missive for Mark Glaze, who directs Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns group.
“What’s in this letter is nothing compared to what ive got in store for you mr president,” the document describes Richardson’s letter to Obama as saying.
She also threatened retribution against anyone attempting to control guns, writing, “You will have to kill me and my family before you get my guns,” and “Anyone who wants to come to my house will get shot in the face.”
This article was published in Global Security Newswire, which is produced independently by National Journal Group under contract with the Nuclear Threat Initiative. NTI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan group working to reduce global threats from nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons.
What We're Following See More »
Despite trailing Hillary Clinton by a significant margin, Bernie Sanders wasn't going the way of Ted Cruz tonight. The Vermont senator upset Clinton in Indiana, with MSNBC calling the race at 9pm. Sanders appears poised to win by a five- or six-point spread.
And just like that, it's over. Ted Cruz will suspend his presidential campaign after losing badly to Donald Trump in Indiana tonight. "While Cruz had always hedged when asked whether he would quit if he lost Indiana; his campaign had laid a huge bet on the state." John Kasich's campaign has pledged to carry on. “From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” said Cruz. “Tonight, I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed."
The Republican establishment's last remaining hope—a contested convention this summer—may have just ended in Indiana, as Donald Trump won a decisive victory over Ted Cruz. Nothing Cruz seemed to have in his corner seemed to help—not a presumptive VP pick in Carly Fiorina, not a midwestern state where he's done well in the past, and not the state's legions of conservatives. Though Trump "won't secure the 1,237 delegates he needs to formally claim the nomination until June, his Indiana triumph makes it almost impossible to stop him. Following his decisive wins in New York and other East Coast states, the Indiana victory could put Trump within 200 delegates of the magic number he needs to clinch the nomination." Cruz, meanwhile, "now faces the agonizing choice of whether to remain in the race, with his attempt to force the party into a contested convention in tatters, or to bow out and cede the party nomination to his political nemesis." The Associated Press, which called the race at 7pm, predicts Trump will win at least 45 delegates.