Alejandro Mayorkas’s nomination to be the next deputy Homeland Security secretary is headed to the full Senate, over strong objections from a key Republican.
The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee approved Mayorkas’s nomination by a 9-0 vote on Wednesday. Ranking member Tom Coburn called the move “a disservice” to the committee, which he said has largely avoided partisanship.
Mayorkas’s nomination has been ensnared in controversy after an email was sent to lawmakers in July revealing that Mayorkas is under investigation by the Homeland Security Department’s Inspector General Office. The investigation is looking into a program run by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services — a department Mayorkas has overseen since August 2009. He has denied any wrongdoing.
Because of the ongoing investigation, Republican committee members voted present. After the vote, Coburn said Committee Chairman Tom Carper’s decision to move forward on the nomination discredits the investigation and the whistle-blowers that came forward earlier this year.
“This hearing really isn’t about [Mayorkas]. It’s about process, and that’s where the problems are,” Coburn said. The Oklahoma Republican pointed to a lack of precedence on considering nominees that are under investigation, adding that “history is telling us clearly not to move forward.”
Carper said investigators told him earlier this month that Mayorkas has yet to be tied to any wrongdoing. The investigation isn’t expected to wrap up until February.
Mayorkas was nominated in late June to replace Jane Holl Lute, who resigned from the department in May. Carper pointed to DHS’s current dependence on filling top positions with temporary leadership as a key reason to push forward with the nomination.
“I mean no disrespect to leaders serving in acting roles “¦ but acting leadership is no substitute,” the Delaware Democrat said.
What We're Following See More »
Paul Ryan told CNN today he's "not ready" to back Donald Trump at this time. "I'm not there right now," he said. Ryan said Trump needs to unify "all wings of the Republican Party and the conservative movement" and then run a campaign that will allow Americans to "have something that they're proud to support and proud to be a part of. And we've got a ways to go from here to there."
The Daily Beast has unearthed a piece that Donald Trump wrote for Gear magazine in 2000, which anticipates his 2016 sales pitch quite well. "Perhaps it's time for a dealmaker who can get the leaders of Congress to the table, forge consensus, and strike compromise," he writes. Oddly, he opens by defending his reputation as a womanizer: "The hypocrites argue that a man who loves and appreciates beautiful women (and does so legally and openly) shouldn't become a national leader? Is there something wrong with appreciating beautiful women? Don't we want people in public office who show signs of life?"
An aide to Mitt Romney confirmed to the Washington Post that the 2102 GOP nominee will not attend the Republican convention this year. He joins the two living Republican presidents, George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush, as well as 2008 nominee John McCain in skipping the event. Even among living Republican nominees, that leaves only Bob Dole who could conceivably show up. Dole did say in January that he'd prefer Trump to Ted Cruz, but his age (92) could keep him from attending.
Sen. Ben Sasse, the most prominent elected official to declare that he's #NeverTrump, wrote an open letter on Facebook to the "majority of Americans who wonder why the nation that put a man on the moon can’t find a healthy leader who can take us forward together." Calling to mind recent conversations at a Fremont, Neb., Walmart, the senator pitted the presumptive general election battle between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton as such a "terrible choice" that there would be an appetite for another candidate to emerge. In a parenthetical aside to reporters, Sasse ruled himself out. "Such a leader should be able to campaign 24/7 for the next six months," he wrote. "Therefore he/she likely can’t be an engaged parent with little kids." Meanwhile, his colleague Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) admitted in a private recording obtained by Politico that Trump hurts his reelection chances.