U.S. Aims to Reassure Israel on Iran Sanctions

None

Diane Barnes, Global Security Newswire
See more stories about...
Diane Barnes, Global Security Newswire
Dec. 5, 2013, 8:02 a.m.

WASH­ING­TON — U.S. Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry on Thursday at­temp­ted to re­as­sure Is­raeli Prime Min­is­ter Ben­jamin Net­an­yahu that key sanc­tions would re­main in force against Ir­an’s dis­puted nuc­le­ar pro­gram un­der an in­ter­im ac­cord ne­go­ti­ated by Tehran and six oth­er gov­ern­ments.

The agree­ment, un­veiled in Geneva last month, com­mits Ir­an to en­act a range of six-month curbs on atom­ic activ­it­ies that could sup­port de­vel­op­ment of a nuc­le­ar-arms cap­ab­il­ity. In ex­change, Wash­ing­ton and five oth­er gov­ern­ments are ex­pec­ted to grant the Middle East­ern na­tion up to $7 bil­lion in re­lief from pun­it­ive eco­nom­ic meas­ures, in part by lift­ing cer­tain re­stric­tions on Ir­a­ni­an pet­ro­leum rev­en­ues held in over­seas ac­counts.

After meet­ing privately with Kerry on Thursday, Net­an­yahu said he has “ex­pressed … con­cern since Geneva that the sanc­tions would be­gin to un­ravel” as a res­ult of the half-year agree­ment.

“Steps must be taken to pre­vent fur­ther erosions of sanc­tions,” the Is­raeli lead­er said, ac­cord­ing to a State De­part­ment tran­script of his com­ments.

Kerry countered that the most crit­ic­al Ir­an pen­al­ties are still in ef­fect. The Per­sian Gulf power is sub­ject to pun­it­ive lan­guage in four U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil res­ol­u­tions, as well as nu­mer­ous meas­ures en­acted by the United States, the European Uni­on and oth­ers.

“We say to any coun­try that con­tem­plates mov­ing ahead of sanc­tions, don’t, be­cause those sanc­tions will con­tin­ue to be en­forced,” the top U.S. dip­lo­mat said. “The fun­da­ment­al sanc­tions re­gime of oil and bank­ing re­mains ab­so­lutely in place.”

He ad­ded that the Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion would bol­ster its im­ple­ment­a­tion of ex­ist­ing sanc­tions through the Treas­ury De­part­ment and oth­er fed­er­al agen­cies.

Mean­while, Ir­an’s top oil of­fi­cial ap­peared to voiced hope on Wed­nes­day that his na­tion would ex­pand its trade with the United States and European powers, the Wall Street Journ­al re­por­ted.

“We have no lim­it­a­tions for U.S. com­pan­ies,” Ir­a­ni­an Oil Min­is­ter Bi­jan Zan­ganeh said. He ad­ded that he would like to see his coun­try do busi­ness with the U.S. en­ergy gi­ants Chev­ron and Cono­co­Phil­lips.

This art­icle was pub­lished in Glob­al Se­cur­ity News­wire, which is pro­duced in­de­pend­ently by Na­tion­al Journ­al Group un­der con­tract with the Nuc­le­ar Threat Ini­ti­at­ive. NTI is a non­profit, non­par­tis­an group work­ing to re­duce glob­al threats from nuc­le­ar, bio­lo­gic­al, and chem­ic­al weapons.

What We're Following See More »
‘PULLING A TRUMP’
GOP Budget Chiefs Won’t Invite Administration to Testify
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

The administration will release its 2017 budget blueprint tomorrow, but the House and Senate budget committees won’t be inviting anyone from the White House to come talk about it. “The chairmen of the House and Senate Budget committees released a joint statement saying it simply wasn’t worth their time” to hear from OMB Director Shaun Donovan. Accusing the members of pulling a “Donald Trump,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said the move “raises some questions about how confident they are about the kinds of arguments that they could make.”

Source:
A DARK CLOUD OVER TRUMP?
Snowstorm Could Impact Primary Turnout
1 days ago
THE LATEST

A snowstorm is supposed to hit New Hampshire today and “linger into Primary Tuesday.” GOP consultant Ron Kaufman said lower turnout should help candidates who have spent a lot of time in the state tending to retail politicking. Donald Trump “has acknowledged that he needs to step up his ground-game, and a heavy snowfall could depress his figures relative to more organized candidates.”

Source:
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
A Shake-Up in the Offing in the Clinton Camp?
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

Anticipating a primary loss in New Hampshire on Tuesday, Hillary and Bill Clinton “are considering staffing and strategy changes” to their campaign. Sources tell Politico that the Clintons are likely to layer over top officials with experienced talent, rather than fire their staff en masse.

Source:
THE LAST ROUND OF NEW HAMPSHIRE POLLS
Trump Is Still Ahead, but Who’s in Second?
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

We may not be talking about New Hampshire primary polls for another three-and-a-half years, so here goes:

  • American Research Group’s tracking poll has Donald Trump in the lead with 30% support, followed by Marco Rubio and John Kasich tying for second place at 16%. On the Democratic side, Bernie Sanders leads Hillary Clinton 53%-41%.
  • The 7 News/UMass Lowell tracking poll has Trump way out front with 34%, followed by Rubio and Ted Cruz with 13% apiece. Among the Democrats, Sanders is in front 56%-40%.
  • A Gravis poll puts Trump ahead with 28%, followed by Kasich with 17% and Rubio with 15%.
IT’S ALL ABOUT SECOND PLACE
CNN Calls the Primary for Sanders and Trump
3 hours ago
THE LATEST

Well that didn’t take long. CNN has already declared Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump the winners of the New Hampshire primary, leaving the rest of the candidates to fight for the scraps. Five minutes later, the Associated Press echoed CNN’s call.

Source:
×