WHERE ARE THEY NOW

After 26 Years in Congress, Elton Gallegly Teaches Public Service

House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio administers the House oath to Rep. Elton Gallegly, R-Calif., right, during a mock swearing-in ceremony on Capitol Hill in Washington, on Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Cameron Smith
Aug. 8, 2013, 3:30 p.m.

“I don’t look for­ward to the rock­ing chair,” said former Rep. Elton Gal­legly, R-Cal­if. So the 69-year-old Los Angeles County nat­ive has kept him­self very busy since re­tir­ing from Con­gress in Janu­ary after serving 13 terms.

Gal­legly re­cently partnered with Cali­for­nia Luther­an Uni­versity in Thou­sand Oaks, just west of L.A., to or­gan­ize and launch a gradu­ate-level pro­gram for young stu­dents who are pre­par­ing for ca­reers in pub­lic ser­vice. He said the cen­ter’s goal is to help stu­dents “un­der­stand what pub­lic ser­vice is all about” and to ex­pose them to the world of polit­ics out­side of run­ning for of­fice.

“It will give them a great head start,” he said. “They’ll know that pub­lic ser­vice is about more than cam­paign­ing and fun­drais­ing strategies.”

The pro­ject has taken up a large por­tion of Gal­legly’s time in the past few months. “I got in­volved with what I thought was go­ing to be a little pro­ject and then real­ized it was huge,” he said.

But to Gal­legly, it has been time well spent. “Any­thing im­port­ant is go­ing to take time,” he said.

“You don’t want your name at­tached to something that is go­ing to fail. More im­port­antly, you don’t want something you care about to fail. You know, you have to en­joy what you’re do­ing in life. You don’t have to be the grand poo-bah or any­thing; you just have to en­joy it.”

Gal­legly has also con­tin­ued his work with the Ron­ald Re­agan Pres­id­en­tial Lib­rary, which is very im­port­ant to him be­cause of a friend­ship that was formed when Re­agan was pres­id­ent and Gal­legly was a ju­ni­or mem­ber of Con­gress.

“There’s a lot of syn­ergy between the two pro­jects, and they’re close to my heart,” said Gal­legly. The two in­sti­tu­tions will be linked by the schol­ars as­so­ci­ated with the cen­ter, he said.

Gal­legly seems to be en­joy­ing life in the fast lane. “It’s kind of like driv­ing a race car,” he said. “You’re either go­ing hun­dreds of miles an hour or you’re not mov­ing. I was a small-busi­ness guy, and some­where along the line I was al­most dared to shut up or do something, and so I ran for may­or, and to my own sur­prise I won. The rest went from there.”

Where Are They Now is a Na­tion­al Journ­al Daily series that catches up with law­makers who left of­fice in Janu­ary to find out what they are do­ing. It will run throughout Au­gust.

PROCEDURES NOT FOLLOWED
Trump Not on Ballot in Minnesota
2 days ago
THE LATEST
MOB RULE?
Trump on Immigration: ‘I Don’t Know, You Tell Me’
2 days ago
THE LATEST

Perhaps Donald Trump can take a plebiscite to solve this whole messy immigration thing. At a Fox News town hall with Sean Hannity last night, Trump essentially admitted he's "stumped," turning to the audience and asking: “Can we go through a process or do you think they have to get out? Tell me, I mean, I don’t know, you tell me.”

BIG CHANGE FROM WHEN HE SELF-FINANCED
Trump Enriching His Businesses with Donor Money
4 days ago
WHY WE CARE

Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.

QUESTIONS OVER IMMIGRATION POLICY
Trump Cancels Rallies
4 days ago
THE LATEST

Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.

‘STRATEGY AND MESSAGING’
Sean Hannity Is Also Advising Trump
5 days ago
THE LATEST

Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”