Mobile-phone scams have cost Americans hundreds of millions of dollars over the past several years, according to a new report from the Senate Commerce Committee.
Unauthorized charges by third-party vendors on consumers’ phone bills for services such as celebrity gossip, horoscopes, or fake contests — commonly known as “cramming” — is much larger than previously reported, according to the report released Wednesday.
Consumers’ losses are mobile-phone companies’ gains. The report finds companies such as Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint reap the benefits of this fraudulent activity, generally keeping up to 40 percent of the charges.
Mobile carriers allow third-party vendors to charge consumers for services like music and app downloads and charity or political donations directly through their phone bill.
The wireless industry has adopted voluntary measures to protect consumers from fraud, said Michael Altschul, general counsel for cell-phone lobbying group CTIA, during a hearing on the topic Wednesday.
But Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller says they are not doing enough.
“Industry representatives told us that their voluntary policies and practices provide consumers — and I quote — a ‘robust process designed to protect customers from unscrupulous actors,’ and that cramming on wireless phones has been ‘de minimis,’ ” Rockefeller said in a statement Wednesday. “But this report makes it clear that is not the case.”
Unwanted third-party charges are often difficult to detect. Customers who do notice unwanted charges often face an uphill battle to refund lost money, because phone bills do not have the same fraud protections as credit cards.
The Senate study comes two days after the Federal Trade Commission released five recommendations to mobile carriers to crack down on cramming, including giving consumers the option to block third-party charges, clearly displaying third-party charges on phone bills, and making it easier for consumers to resolve charge disputes.
The FTC filed a complaint earlier this month against T-Mobile for placing millions of dollars worth of unwanted charges on customers’ phone bills.
T-Mobile CEO John Legere said the FTC’s complaint was “unfounded and without merit.”
What We're Following See More »
Democrats in the House are threatening to shut down the government if Republicans expedite a vote on a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare, said Democratic House Whip Steny Hoyer Thursday. Lawmakers have introduced a one-week spending bill to give themselves an extra week to reach a long-term funding deal, which seemed poised to pass easily. However, the White House is pressuring House Republicans to take a vote on their Obamacare replacement Friday to give Trump a legislative victory, though it is still not clear that they have the necessary votes to pass the health care bill. This could go down to the wire.
Members of Congress are eyeing a one-week spending bill which would keep the government open past the Friday night deadline, giving lawmakers an extra week to iron out a long-term deal to fund the government. Without any action, the government would run out of funding starting at midnight Saturday. “I am optimistic that a final funding package will be completed soon," said Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-N.J., chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.
"President Trump informed Mexican President Pena Nieto and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday afternoon that he will not pull the U.S. from the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) despite reports earlier in the day that he had considered doing so. ... The three leaders agreed to proceed quickly with renegotiation plans as the initial review process comes to a close."
"A new bill to revive a permanent nuclear waste repository in Yucca Mountain, Nev., fails to address the concerns of Nevada lawmakers, suggesting the latest attempt may not resolve a 20-year impasse over the issue." The state's congressional delegation "shared their opposition to the nuclear waste policy amendment during a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing focused on the legislation," and promised that Gov. Brian Sandoval would oppose it at every turn. "The new bill aims to finally use some $31 billion that has accumulated in the Nuclear Waste Fund, set aside in 1982 to collect specifically for a permanent repository."