Nearly a week after a civilian jetliner went down over eastern Ukraine, the region’s airspace remains deadly.
The Associated Press reports that two Ukrainian military fighter jets were shot down at 1:30 p.m. local time on Wednesday in the east, according to Ukraine’s Defense Ministry. The aircraft were Sukhoi-25 fighters, which were designed by the Soviet Union in the 1970s.
Ukrainian Defense Ministry spokesman Oleksiy Dmitrashkovsky told the AP that up to two crew members may have been aboard each jet.
A spokesman for Ukraine’s military operations told Reuters that the jets were shot down by pro-Russia separatists. Ukrainian defense officials say the missiles that took them down were launched from Russia, just across the border, ABC reports.
The reported downings come barely a week after Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was blown out of the sky by a surface-to-air missile that U.S. intelligence officials believe was launched by pro-Russia rebels who mistook the commercial plane for Ukrainian military aircraft. All 298 people on board were killed in the crash.
In June, separatists shot down a Ukrainian military transport plane, killing 49 people on board.The circumstances surrounding the downing of the two jetfighters remain unclear. Intelligence officials from the U.S. and other countries will likely turn their attention to social media, where rebels have previously commented or bragged about armed attacks against Ukrainian authorities, for immediate clues about what happened. This story has been updated with more information.
What We're Following See More »
Perhaps Donald Trump can take a plebiscite to solve this whole messy immigration thing. At a Fox News town hall with Sean Hannity last night, Trump essentially admitted he's "stumped," turning to the audience and asking: “Can we go through a process or do you think they have to get out? Tell me, I mean, I don’t know, you tell me.”
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”