In a full run of the Sunday morning news show gauntlet, Secretary of State John Kerry attempted to push the Obama administration’s developing line on Russia after last week’s MH17 crash: Everything is on the table. Except troops.
On Fox News Sunday, Kerry said that the investigation into the crash has been “seriously compromised” by “drunken separatist soldiers” who have been removing bodies and evidence from the scene “unceremoniously.”
Pro-Russian separatist militiamen have taken custody of about 200 of the 298 bodies found at the wreckage site of Fight 17, according to Ukrainian officials. Kerry condemned the behavior and again pointed the finger at Putin.
“What’s happening is really grotesque, and It’s contrary to everything Russia and Putin said they would do,” Kerry told NBC’s David Gregory. “The separatists are in control.”
“This is a fundamental moment of truth for Russia, for Mr. Putin,” Kerry told Fox host Chris Wallace.
Kerry came just short of placing direct responsibility for the downed passenger plane on Putin and Russia. “Culpability is a traditional term,” he told CNN’s Candy Crowley, “and people can make their own judgments about what happened here.” Kerry told Fox News that U.S. intelligence has made no final conclusions, but they “know to a certainty” that a “major convoy,” which included tanks and artillery, crossed from Russia into the hands of separatists within the last month.
“At the moment of the shootdown, we detected a launch from that area” controlled by separatists, Kerry said on CNN. He told Fox News that “we have voices we have overheard of separatists in Russian bragging about the shootdown and then subsequently taking down on social media.”
Kerry suggested on CBS that “there’s an enormous amount of evidence … that points to the involvement of Russia” in giving pro-Russia separatists in Ukraine the kinds of weapons that shot down the Malaysian Airlines flight and the training to use them.
The case could get stronger before long. “The investigation is going to draw conclusions that are quote, ‘definitive,’ ” Kerry said on CBS’ Face the Nation. “What we have is a lot of evidence that points in the direction that raises very, very serious questions.”
So with evidence piling up, what does the U.S. intend to do? “The president is prepared to take additional steps, and we are discussing with the Ukrainians right now what they need, what else we can do, and I don’t think anything except American troops going there, other things are on the table,” Kerry told Fox News. “I don’t think anybody in America is talking about putting troops in there, nobody is talking about military,” he said on CNN. Kerry suggested on multiple shows that the Obama administration still has possible additional sanctions at its disposal.
“We’re in conversation now with our European counterparts,” Kerry told CBS’s Bob Schieffer. “We hope this is a wake-up call for some countries in Europe that have been reluctant to move.”
Kerry’s not the only one making the rounds Sunday and hitting hard against Russia. Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein told CNN that she believes the U.S.-Russia relationship is now at cold war levels.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump is planning to reverse an Obama-era order requiring that schools allow students to use the bathroom that coincides with their gender identity. Trump "has green-lighted the plan for the Justice Department and Education Department to send a “Dear Colleague” letter to schools rescinding the guidance." A case is going before the Supreme Court on March 28 in which Gavin Grimm, a transgender high school student, is suing his high school for forbidding him to use the men's room.
Retired Russian diplomats and members of Vladimir Putin's staff are compiling a dossier "on Donald Trump's psychological makeup" for the Russian leader. "Among its preliminary conclusions is that the new American leader is a risk-taker who can be naïve, according to a senior Kremlin adviser."
Donald Trump is set to issue a new and more focused executive order clarifying the scope of his travel ban, hoping that the order will survive legal challenges. The new order would focus on the same seven countries, "but would only bar entry to those without a visa and who have never entered the United States before. Unlike the original order, people from those countries who already have permanent U.S. residency (green cards) or visas would not face any restrictions." Some lawyers believe the government will now have much stronger standing, though lawyers who challenged the initial order see the same core problems with the forthcoming ban.
"President Donald Trump announced Monday that Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster will serve as his next national security adviser, filling the void left last week by the sudden dismissal of Michael Flynn. ... Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who had been serving as the acting national security adviser since Flynn's exit, will return to his role as chief of staff of the National Security Council." The pick was widely praised on both sides of the aisle.