Israeli forces have launched a ground assault in Gaza, according to the Israeli government. Forces have been instructed to target and destroy cross-border tunnels used to smuggle weapons and supplies to and from Gaza. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu confirmed the assault in a statement.
“The prime minister and defense minister have instructed the IDF to begin a ground operation tonight in order to hit the terror tunnels from Gaza into Israel,” the statement read. The objective of the operation is to strike a “significant blow to Hamas’ terror infrastructure,” according to a separate statement from the Israeli Army.
Journalists staying in hotels on the Gaza beach were asked to evacuate the area. The Israeli navy began shelling the Gaza harbor soon thereafter. The harbor is on the side of the Gaza Strip opposite the eastern tunnels being targeted by ground troops.
Earlier on Thursday, Palestinian fighters used a tunnel to enter Israel. At least one was killed when Israeli forces bombed the group.
Secretary of State John Kerry spoke on the phone with Netanyahu soon after the ground invasion was announced.
The ground invasion is the most recent development in a 10-day long conflict that has killed hundreds of Palestinians in Gaza and one Israeli. Militants in Gaza have sent barrages of rockets into Israel on a daily basis as Israeli air strikes targeted Gaza.
Israel committed to a five-hour pause in air strikes that ended at 3 p.m. local time Thursday. Hostilities resumed after the end of the ceasefire: Israeli air strikes killed at least four Palestinian children in Gaza City as militants launched more than 50 rockets into Israel from Gaza after the ceasefire was up.
A ceasefire proposal put forward by Egypt failed earlier this week after Israel agreed to it. Hamas did not acknowledge the agreement and continued to fire rockets into Israel. After the failure, negotiations continued in Cairo, where Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi met with President Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli negotiators on Wednesday.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.