The lawyer for the family of a Connecticut woman fatally shot by federal officers last October after a car chase from the White House to Capitol Hill said he was not surprised by the Justice Department’s decision to not prosecute the officers involved.
But attorney Eric Sanders of New York said Miriam Carey’s family will press ahead with its $75 million wrongful-death lawsuit against the Secret Service and U.S. Capitol Police.
In fact, Sanders said the closing of the criminal inquiry may open up more opportunity to obtain further information from government agencies to support the lawsuit. The 34-year-old dental hygienist from Stamford died after being shot five times by officers while in her car. Carey’s 14-month-old daughter was in the back seat during the shooting, but the child was not injured.
National Journal first reported Wednesday that Justice Department officials had decided they would not pursue federal criminal civil-rights or local charges against the two Secret Service officers and two Capitol Police officers involved in Carey’s death. And department officials publicly released a statement Thursday that “federal prosecutors have found insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that these officers used excessive force under the circumstances known to them at the time.”
Sanders said he had been contacted earlier Thursday by Justice Department officials who handled the investigation about the decision not to prosecute, prior to the public announcement. He said he’d been expecting such an outcome, but did not agree with it, and that “we’ll go forward” with the civil case.
“Today, after nine months of ‘utter’ silence by government officials we were not surprisingly told by the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia they are ‘declining prosecution’ because after an exhaustive review of the available evidence they will not be able to meet the ‘willfulness’ standard as required by various criminal statutes,” Sanders said.
“There is no finding that the police use of force against Miriam Iris Carey was ‘justified,’ ” he said.
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”
"Donald Trump's campaign and the Republican party will coordinate more closely going forward, with the GOP's top communicator and chief strategist Sean Spicer increasingly working out of Trump campaign headquarters, the campaign confirmed Sunday."
In a statement released Friday morning, the Trump campaign announced that Paul Manafort has resigned as campaign chairman. The move comes after fresh questions had been raised about Manafort's work in Russia and Ukraine, and Trump brought in Stephen Bannon "as a de facto demotion for Manafort."