Feds Charge T-Mobile With Scamming Customers Out of Hundreds of Millions of Dollars

Customers were billed for flirting tips, horoscope information, and other information they didn’t want.

A man talks on a mobile phone at the T-Mobile stand at the CeBIT technology fair March 15, 2007 in Hanover, Germany. CeBIT, the world's largest tech fair, will run from March 15-21. (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)
National Journal
Brendan Sasso
Add to Briefcase
Brendan Sasso
July 1, 2014, 10:34 a.m.

T-Mo­bile made hun­dreds of mil­lions of dol­lars by pla­cing un­wanted charges on cus­tom­ers’ monthly phone bills, ac­cord­ing to fed­er­al charges filed Tues­day.

The phone com­pany billed cus­tom­ers for flirt­ing tips, horo­scope in­form­a­tion, celebrity gos­sip, and oth­er ser­vices that they nev­er asked for, the Fed­er­al Trade Com­mis­sion says.

T-Mo­bile placed the charges on be­half of third-party scam­mers, but took a cut of 35-40 per­cent of the charges, ac­cord­ing to the law­suit. The ser­vices of­ten cost $9.99 per month.

In the com­plaint, the FTC claims T-Mo­bile con­tin­ued to bill many cus­tom­ers even after be­com­ing aware the ser­vices were scams.

“It’s wrong for a com­pany like T-Mo­bile to profit from scams against its cus­tom­ers when there were clear warn­ing signs the charges it was im­pos­ing were fraud­u­lent,” FTC Chair­wo­man Edith Ramirez said in a state­ment.

The FTC will ask the court to force T-Mo­bile to provide re­funds for the hun­dreds of mil­lions of dol­lars in bogus charges, but the agency lacks the au­thor­ity to im­pose ad­di­tion­al fines. The Fed­er­al Com­mu­nic­a­tions Com­mis­sion, which has fin­ing power, has launched its own in­vest­ig­a­tion in­to T-Mo­bile’s prac­tices.

Jes­sica Rich, the dir­ect­or of the FTC’s Con­sumer Pro­tec­tion Bur­eau, said the agency ne­go­ti­ated with T-Mo­bile be­fore fil­ing the law­suit but was un­able to reach a set­tle­ment.

“We will be pro­ceed­ing in court,” she said. “We hope our law­suit sends a strong mes­sage to oth­er mo­bile phone com­pan­ies.”

In a state­ment, T-Mo­bile CEO John Legere said the charges are “un­foun­ded and without mer­it.”

He said the com­pany stopped billing for “premi­um” text ser­vices last year and already launched a pro­gram to provide re­funds. He said the third-party com­pan­ies “should be held ac­count­able” for scams, but that T-Mo­bile already has pro­ced­ures in place to com­bat un­wanted charges.

“T-Mo­bile is fight­ing harder than any of the car­ri­ers to change the way the wire­less in­dustry op­er­ates and we are dis­ap­poin­ted that the FTC has chosen to file this ac­tion against the most pro-con­sumer com­pany in the in­dustry rather than the real bad act­ors,” Legere said, call­ing the leg­al ac­tion “sen­sa­tion­al­ized.”

T-Mo­bile, the smal­lest of the four na­tion­al car­ri­ers, has earned a repu­ta­tion for ag­gress­ive mar­ket­ing tac­tics to take on the in­dustry’s lar­ger play­ers.

The FTC has brought nu­mer­ous cases in re­cent years over “cram­ming” — the prac­tice of pla­cing un­wanted charges on phone bills. But pre­vi­ous cases tar­geted the third-party scam­mers and not the phone com­pany that placed the charges on bills.

Ac­cord­ing to the FTC, the bogus charges were of­ten dif­fi­cult to find, iden­ti­fied only as “Use Charges” or “Premi­um Ser­vices” on on­line bills. T-Mo­bile’s pre­paid cus­tom­ers had the charges de­duc­ted from their avail­able monthly minutes without any no­ti­fic­a­tion, the FTC said.

Con­sumers can un­wit­tingly sign up for the scams by en­ter­ing their in­form­a­tion in­to on­line ads. Some of the cram­ming com­pan­ies buy batches of phone num­bers and charge cus­tom­ers who didn’t take any ac­tion to buy an ex­tra ser­vice.

This art­icle was up­dated with a com­ment from T-Mo­bile at 4:29 p.m.

What We're Following See More »
JUST IN CASE…
White House Adds Five New SCOTUS Candidates
10 hours ago
THE DETAILS

President Trump added five new names to his Supreme Court short list on Friday, should a need arise to appoint a new justice. The list now numbers 25 individuals. They are: 7th Circuit Appeals Judge Amy Coney Barrett, Georgia Supreme Court Justice Britt C. Grant, District of Columbia Circuit Appeals Court Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh, 11th Circuit Appeals Judge Kevin C. Newsom, and Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice Patrick Wyrick.

SAVE THOSE PERTAINING TO EXEC BRANCH
Sessions: DOJ Will No Longer Issue Guidance Documents
11 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

"Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Friday the Justice Department will revamp its policy for issuing guidance documents. Speaking at the Federalist Society’s annual conference in Washington Friday, Sessions said the Justice Department will no longer issue guidance that 'purports to impose new obligations on any party outside the executive branch.' He said DOJ will review and repeal any documents that could violate this policy." Sessions said: “Too often, rather than going through the long, slow, regulatory process provided in statute, agencies make new rules through guidance documents—by simply sending a letter. This cuts off the public from the regulatory process by skipping the required public hearings and comment periods—and it is simply not what these documents are for. Guidance documents should be used to explain existing law—not to change it.”

Source:
STARTS LEGAL FUND FOR WH STAFF
Trump to Begin Covering His Own Legal Bills
12 hours ago
THE DETAILS
DISCUSSED THE MATTER FOR A NEW BOOK
Steele Says Follow the Money
13 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

"Christopher Steele, the former British intelligence officer who wrote the explosive dossier alleging ties between Donald Trump and Russia," says in a new book by The Guardian's Luke Harding that "Trump's land and hotel deals with Russians needed to be examined. ... Steele did not go into further detail, Harding said, but seemed to be referring to a 2008 home sale to the Russian oligarch Dmitry Rybolovlev. Richard Dearlove, who headed the UK foreign-intelligence unit MI6 between 1999 and 2004, said in April that Trump borrowed money from Russia for his business during the 2008 financial crisis."

Source:
BRITISH PUBLICIST CONNECTED TO TRUMP TOWER MEETING
Goldstone Ready to Meet with Mueller’s Team
14 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The British publicist who helped set up the fateful meeting between Donald Trump Jr. and a group of Russians at Trump Tower in June 2016 is ready to meet with Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller's office, according to several people familiar with the matter. Rob Goldstone has been living in Bangkok, Thailand, but has been communicating with Mueller's office through his lawyer, said a source close to Goldstone."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login