U.S. lawmakers, quick to express condolences over the killing of three Jewish teenagers in Israel, have so far avoided calling for a specific U.S. response despite outrage in America’s pro-Israel community.
The teens disappeared in the West Bank more than two weeks ago and their bodies were found Monday afternoon. Israel suspects Hamas was involved and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has already said the group “will pay” for the boys’ deaths.
One of the boys killed, 16-year-old Naftali Frenkel, was a dual Israeli-American citizen. Some of his extended family lives in New York, in Democratic Rep. Nita Lowey’s district.
“Our hearts are broken by this appalling act of terrorism against three innocent Israelis, and our prayers are with all of their family members in Israel and the United States,” Lowey said in an emailed statement. “President Abbas must make clear that such extremism will not be tolerated, and lead the effort to hold accountable every single person who played a role in this evil act.”
In general, lawmakers agreed with the statement issued by the White House — that the U.S. should actively assist the Israeli government in holding the perpetrators accountable. Reps. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Ted Deutch of Florida are in Israel and had planned to meet with the families Tuesday.
“We will continue to support the Government of Israel in its efforts to bring the perpetrators to justice,” Ros-Lehtinen and Deutch said in a joint statement.
But those in Congress who have had little faith in the new Palestinian government took the opportunity to denounce it once more.
“The whole world should be sickened by the murder of the three Israeli teenagers and the fact that Hamas praised their abductions,” Democratic Rep. Steve Israel said in an email. “These innocent boys had a whole life ahead of them that was robbed by savage terrorists. I vehemently condemn the Palestinian Authority and the unity government created with Hamas’ backing.”
What We're Following See More »
In light of his recent confessions, the speakership of Dennis Hastert is being judged far more harshly. The New York Times' Carl Hulse notes that in hindsight, Hastert now "fares poorly" on a number of fronts, from his handling of the Mark Foley page scandal to "an explosion" of earmarks to the weakening of committee chairmen. "Even his namesake Hastert rule—the informal standard that no legislation should be brought to a vote without the support of a majority of the majority — has come to be seen as a structural barrier to compromise."
Even if "[t]he Republican presidential nomination may be in his sights ... Trump has so far ignored vital preparations needed for a quick and effective transition to the general election. The New York businessman has collected little information about tens of millions of voters he needs to turn out in the fall. He's sent few people to battleground states compared with likely Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, accumulated little if any research on her, and taken no steps to build a network capable of raising the roughly $1 billion needed to run a modern-day general election campaign."